2016 MBP 13" Performance issue for Developer. Worth it to move to real partition?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DenisS3, Feb 14, 2017.

1. DenisS3

DenisS3 Junior Member

I'm new to MacOS and new to Parallels. I have a brand new 13" MacBook Pro with with touch bar, 2.9GHz cpu, 512GB SSD, 8GB Ram.
    My primary use case is .NET Software development, with particularly large Visual Studio 2015 solutions. My Windows 10 guest is configured as 2 CPU, 512 VRAM, 4096MB Ram.

On my MacOS Host I am running ESET Cyber Security Pro and have whitelisted Visual Studio folders which are shared between Guest and Host and are subject to continues changes. Lots of compilation and source code changes, every few minutes.

What I'm finding is particularly weak performance. I'm troubleshooting to disable Window services, windows indexing, Windows Defender etc.. Also I'm trying to make sure there is no thermal throttling and other issues affecting the host.

In general I'm wondering if it would make sense to migrate the Guest OS from a Virtual Disk Image to a native partition on my SSD which I suspect would both increase disk throughput, as well as decrease CPU since there would be less overhead for file system management?

I am downsizing from an overclocked 6 core I7 rig with 32GB storage. From my point of view performance is acceptable most of the time, but there are moments when the guest locks up completely, presumably because of a lack of CPU resources. Like when compiling code, msbuild uses as many cpu as possible.

Is it possible to move the VM to a bootcamp partition?
    Would I be able to boot natively for get increased resources when needed, while still being able to use Parallels on the same partition when not needing the extra horsepower?
    If the VM disk image is migrated to a partition, would folder sharing continue work? I don't see how it would if booting to BC natively, but would it at least work within Parallels?

Thank you.