2Gb death - be careful

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by lithe951, Oct 23, 2008.

1. lithe951

lithe951 Member

Just an FYI for everyone. I mistakenly let my overall drive space get down to 2Gb and it killed the VM. My Windows drive was set to be 40Gb, but with a couple snapshots Parallels was taking up 75Gb of space on my 100Gb drive. With everything else, the space dwindled down to 2Gb and I could not boot Windows, with the same problems everyone has seen - invalid pvs file, corrupt hdd file, etc. Clearing up space on the drive didn't help, apparently once this happens it's toast and getting more space doesn't do anything.

I tried to follow the suggestions to pull the latest and largest snapshot file out and create a new VM, but that didn't work. It simply wanted to delete the partition, reformat and install Windows from scratch, wiping out all my data. So that didn't work.

I had to copy the 75Gb hdd file to an external drive, make a backup copy (using 150Gb total on my external drive), then delete the file from my main drive to free up that space - talk about a leap of faith. Then I merged the snapshots together on the external drive, which took a very long time, but got the hdd file down to 39Gb. Finally I copied that merged file back to the Parallels folder on the main drive and crossed my fingers. That fixed everything and it's fine now.

Watch your drive space! 2Gb may seem like a lot but it's definitely not. Also as I read here on the forums recently, Snapshots are not a viable means of backup because they build on each other, taking up valuable drive space. Just back up the image file itself and you're fine.

Mark