2nd VM causes kernal panic

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bob.ritter@greshamsavage., Dec 8, 2006.

1. bob.ritter@greshamsavage.

bob.ritter@greshamsavage. Junior Member

I am using Parallels Desktop build 3036 on a MacPro 2.66 w/10GB of RAM. I have one main VM in which I run WInXP, primarily for Office 2003. As long as that VM is all I run, all works swimmingly. The Mac runs 24/7, and the primary WinXP VM does also.

However...

When I open a 2nd VM, it will run for a while (the time varies, sometimes an hour or two, sometimes a day or so), and then a grey screen. This has been the case with build 2070, also, and applies to attempts to run a 2nd VM with either WinXP or Vista (both the betas and the the retail version) but now there's a new twist.

As of last evening I had deleted all VMs except the main one for WinXP. I created a new VM, started the installation of WinXP and went home. This morning both VMs were still running, so I installed Office 2007 on the new one. The install completed, and I was in the process of updating Windows when the VM began running extremely slowly, with the CPU maxed out at 100%. That's when I got the grey screen.

After re-starting the Mac, the main VM opened up fine, and continues to run fine. When I attempt to re-open the new VM, however, I get an error message stating "Virtual machine XP - Office 2007 cannot be opened since it is already used in another Parallels Desktop window." There is no 2nd Parallels Desktop window open except the one showing the error message.

That's one I haven't seen before. Any thoughts?

Thanks...Bob