2X Universal Printer Default Settings

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by AndrewS47, Feb 11, 2022.

1. AndrewS47

AndrewS47 Bit poster

Hi all,

I'm hoping to set the default print quality setting of the 2X Universal Printer to 2400x2400 DPI. Is there any option, script, or setting to configure the default value for any users who log into a session host? We have an application where printing via the 2X Printer isn't scaled correctly unless it's set to 2400x2400, and it would be very challenging to instruct each user to manually verify this setting any time they print. Other printers don't have this issue, but we use the HTML5 client and have no other reliable means of printing to the end user's device.

Thanks!

2. jpc

jpc Pro

Printing redirection on the browser is somewhat limited by what the browser itself exposes. It is possible to use html5 in conjunction with a locally installed client so that the users can have a more feature-rich printing experience.

If the printer is a local-to-the-user printer which is redirected via html5, it is not (yet) possible to set the local printer's dpi via pure html5 printer redirection since the printing is done via the browser not by the RAS client itself. If the problem you are facing is that the local-to-the-user printer is configured to use 2400x2400 but the generic printer used by the html5 client is using a different dpi, then one might try to force the desired defaults for the remote generic printer's settings (while the session is running) via a some sort of custom utility. However I think that it would be a not-so-officially supported scenario.

3. AndrewS47

AndrewS47 Bit poster

Thanks for the response! I'm looking to modify the settings of the generic printer inside of the user's session.

I ended up writing a PowerShell script that identifies if the user has the 2X universal printer redirected in HTML5, extracts the binary data from the DevModes2 registry key in HKCU, and adjusts it to 2400x2400. Seems to be working great so far!

4. AlexanderK39

AlexanderK39

'2X Universal Printer' has got such predefined resolutions: 150x150, 300x300, 600x600, 1200x1200. Mentioned serialized DEVMODE from the Registry is used by Spooler's internals to pre-initialize created DEVMODE instance. So, changing current resolution there to 2400 can help in some cases.
    @AndrewS47 do you mean the printer redirection case when Universal Printing rename pattern is set to '2X Universal printer' in Parallels RAS Console? There is another case when the rename pattern is <DEFAULT> there. Then a redirected printer from HTML5 will be named like '2X Universal Printer for <user> by Parallels' which is different and cannot be hacked (I think so) the way you mentioned.

5. AlexanderK39

AlexanderK39

Resolutions 150-1200, mentioned in the previous post, are for the case with '2X Universal Printer for <user> by Parallel. For the '2X Universal Printer' there is such a workaround:
    - cd "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Parallels\ApplicationServer\UniversalDevices\x64" in CMD as Administrator
    - edit 2XUnivPrn.gpd there: for '*Feature: Resolution' specify '*DefaultOption: Option8'
    - Ensure there is no any user connected with RAS printer redirection
    - run '2XInst.exe /rp'
    - In Parallels RAS Console switch 'Universal Printing/Printer rename pattern' to <DEFAULT>, Apply, then back to '2X Universal Printer', Apply

jpc likes this.