3 Windows issues keep appearing

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by willmow, Nov 3, 2017.

1. willmow

willmow Member

3 things keep happening even after much time and money has been spent trying to fix them. Can anyone help?

1) The keyboard does not work in certain parts of Windows 10 (e.g. the "type here to search" field). According to Parallels this is a known issue - I found this help in the forum: Kindly be informed that this is a known issue with Windows 10 and happens on real Windows PC's as well. As a workaround (results not guaranteed), navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and locate the application 'ctfmon'. Next, press CMD+R in Windows to launch the Run window, type 'shell:startup' (without the quotes) in the text field, hit 'Enter' (which opens a new window), drag and drop the 'ctfmon' application from the other window into the new window, launch it (no application window will open and nothing will seem to happen because, after being launched, the application will simply run hidden in the background) and restart Windows.
    2) I have lost my alert sounds in Office and the other app I use with Windows on my Mac: Trados Studio, a translation program.
    3) Windows 10 no longer updates automatically - I have to initiate updates manually via Settings.

Could it be that Windows updates are breaking these things? Any advice?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @willmow , do you have any snapshots taken before the Windows update?

3. willmow

willmow Member

Hi, the issues I was having corrected themselves after a few days - I suspect a Windows 10 update caused the problems (which are all related), which were then corrected with a subsequent update.

4. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @willmow , Glad to know it is resolved.
    Thanks