3120 mem leak and crash observation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Hagbard, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Hagbard

Hagbard Member

I sent this in as a bug report to beta@parallels.com already, but I thought I would share this with the forum to see if it matches anyone else's experience:

The gradual memory leak that appeared somewhere in the betas is still present in 3120, although it does seem to take longer to cause a crash. I was trying to study the leak today by leaving my VM on and watching my memory usage closely, and I noticed that the crash occured right around the time that Parallels total memory usage (including virtual memory) passed 4 gigs. The console error was a malloc problem, so I'm guessing the crashes occur because any 32-bit variables that have to point to something in Parallels memory space overflow once the 4 gigabyte threshold is passed.

Can anyone else who experiences crashes after leaving Parallels operating for a long time confirm this connection? It took well over 12 hours for the crash to occur for me, so I'm not going to be able to try repeating the test in a systematic fashion. Perhaps if we try to gather some more data in this thread it will be useful for the hard-working developers.

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

ieexplorer.exe version 7 is the memory hog accoring to the task manager
    5 tabs + google tool bar 1248444 kb
    dropped when I stared stareted waol exe

my usage is mostly text / html / mail / usenet / aol
    in Activity Monitor Paralles is 530.31 mb 2.24 gb

Hugh W

3. STim

STim Bit poster

Hugh,

What's the RAM amount you gave to your VM?

Best regards,
    Tim

4. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Is there a recommneded amount?

ajm

5. mmch

mmch Bit poster

I can't confim the connection, but I can confirm the same observations. I have a macbook with 2gb of ram. I am running windows 2003 server. If I leave on overnight, vm crashes. Memory grows steadily too.

Anyone got any solutions for this yet?

Marc

6. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Not sure if this is the same issue but I completely had to reformat and reload my MBP on Sunday.

Here is the sequence:

Saturday morning: started Parallels 3120 using WinXP pro.
    Recompiled our product and did an update.
    Decided to leave it running and play with MBP suspend to see if I could trust Parallels being suspended automatically.
    All day Saturday it seemed to do ok. Several times it was resumed/suspended (the entire MBP that is)
    On Sunday afternoon I ran VirusBarrier to perform a virsus scan. I was on battery power and left the message. Parallels still running.
    My MBP went ot sleep in the middle of the scan.
    During the Bears football game I resumed it and let it continue the virus scan.
    Things seemed fine. Parallels OK.

The virus scan completed but for some reason Virusbarrier was consuming lots of CPU. Killed the process. Suddenly Parallels came up and said not enough Mac OS X disk space! 150 mb needed. I had 11gb before all this began so I had to assume something had created a huge log file, probably virus barrier.

The machine became totally unresponsive (must have been swapping like mad). I tried to quit various apps but things had really gone south. Finally I just had to power the machine down. It was beginning to get very low on battery.

I plugged it in after the power down. Oh ya... parallels had quit and was no longer running during the power down.

I powered the machine up and it went past my normal login screen but then went to a blue screen with only a cursor and would never continue past that.

I tried every single hint, all repair obtions with no luck. I religiously backup using SuperDuper but my backup was for some reason not bootable.

So I was forced to do a complete re-install. I wonder if part of this problem was Parallels chewing up memory for a day and 1/2? Also I have no idea what happened with the virus barrier product either.

But thought I would add this here and see if it triggered any memories or thoughts.

Mark

7. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Not sure if this is the same issue but I completely had to reformat and reload my MBP on Sunday.

Here is the sequence:

Saturday morning: started Parallels 3120 using WinXP pro.
    Recompiled our product and did an update.
    Decided to leave it running and play with MBP suspend to see if I could trust Parallels being suspended automatically.
    All day Saturday it seemed to do ok. Several times it was resumed/suspended (the entire MBP that is)
    On Sunday afternoon I ran VirusBarrier to perform a virsus scan. I was on battery power and left the message. Parallels still running.
    My MBP went ot sleep in the middle of the scan.
    During the Bears football game I resumed it and let it continue the virus scan.
    Things seemed fine. Parallels OK.

The virus scan completed but for some reason Virusbarrier was consuming lots of CPU. Killed the process. Suddenly Parallels came up and said not enough Mac OS X disk space! 150 mb needed. I had 11gb before all this began so I had to assume something had created a huge log file, probably virus barrier.

The machine became totally unresponsive (must have been swapping like mad). I tried to quit various apps but things had really gone south. Finally I just had to power the machine down. It was beginning to get very low on battery.

I plugged it in after the power down. Oh ya... parallels had quit and was no longer running during the power down.

I powered the machine up and it went past my normal login screen but then went to a blue screen with only a cursor and would never continue past that.

I tried every single hint, all repair obtions with no luck. I religiously backup using SuperDuper but my backup was for some reason not bootable.

So I was forced to do a complete re-install. I wonder if part of this problem was Parallels chewing up memory for a day and 1/2? Also I have no idea what happened with the virus barrier product either.

But thought I would add this here and see if it triggered any memories or thoughts.

Mark

8. drval

drval Pro

One trick is to start up the VM then Suspend it then re-Start it. This seems to help in some instances to prevent the Memory leak.