3186 and USB camera support in tethered mode

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bob.ritter@greshamsavage., Feb 27, 2007.

1. bob.ritter@greshamsavage.

bob.ritter@greshamsavage. Junior Member

With each new build that comes out I find more and more minor issues fixed, and have now been using Parallels on the MacPro (always the latest build) for many months as my primary desktop at the office. Although there's always been an XP machine sitting next to it, in case a problem developed with Parallels on the MacPro, for all practical purposes I've never had to use it. Kudos to the development team.

However...

There's one item that I'd still like to see, but still doesn't appear to be there in build 3186. I do a lot of portrait photography, and would like to be able to do that in tethered mode (i.e., where the camera is attached to a computer via USB, and the photos are immediately downloaded to the computer and viewed on the computer screen as the shots are taken.)

My laptop is a MacBookPro. There is a Windows program called DSLR Remote Pro which I've used in the past because it works well and is affordable. There is also a OS X program called Capture One which works well, but costs about 10 times what DSLR Remote Pro costs (and besides, I already own DSLR Remote Pro). I can't justify $500 for Capture One, and would like to use DSLR Remote Pro on the MacBookPro under parallels.

It works in all respects except the important one. It recognises the camera (Canon EOS 5D), it even controls the camera, allowing the settings to be changed on the camera and the shutter to be released from the computer. But the photos don't show up!

It is entirely possible that this is a DSLR Remote Pro problem, and not a Parallels problem. I don't know how to check. I do know that the other potential photo capture program (Bibble, from Bibble Labs), which runs natively under OS X, isn't able to work on the IntelMacs yet because Canon has only just released the SDK.

Any insight woould be appreciated.

Thanks...Bob