32 bit Color Quality

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Larry__Rymal, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Under my Displays Control Panel, I am topping out at 24 bit color quality. Is this typical for everyone else? I could have sworn that I was able to top out at 32 bit... Thanks!

2. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

Did you install the Parallel tools in the VM (assuming you are using Windows XP).

3. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Oh yes... I just checked Tools and thel "Video Driver" is enabled.

XP runs marvelously, mouse, everything. CNN Pipeline. Just that I seem to recall seeing 32 bit on the display control panel. Do you have 32 bit displaying?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  4. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

Yes. With the released version of the tools installed I have an option for 32-bit color depth.

5. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Well, ok, then. Wonder what the problem is on my end? Perhaps a setting on the Parallels program? I'll have to dig then. Tools certainly appears happy... Nothing really looks out of place, other than the 24 bit top out.

6. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Did you have a previous beta installed that you upgraded to GA? If so, did you uninstall the beta parallels tools before installing the GA version? I'm guessing this is the problem. I would do the following.

1. Start XP.
    2. Goto Add/Remove Programs and remove Parallels Tools.
    3. Shutdown XP
    4. Start XP.
    5. Install Parallels tools.

It sounds like you have the beta 6 video driver installed.

7. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Apparently that was it. I now have 32 bit color. Rah!

I am very certain you are right. Obviously, during the upgrade from beta to golden, I used the same hard drive image. Soooo, it had the older Tools utilities.

I would suggest that others here have the same problem.... It isn't a major issue and they'd never know it unless they checked, or a program complained about not having 32 bit.

Anyway it was just bugging me...