3D Studio Max 2019

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by FEG, Jul 18, 2018.

1. FEG

FEG Bit poster

Hi, I've been running 3D Studio Max 2018 on Parallels with hardware acceleration on without any problems.

The most recent 3D Studio Max 2019 however refuse to start when 3D acceleration is turned on for my Windows 10 virtualization. I had to set 3D Acceleration to disabled for 3D Studio Max 2019 to run, but I feel like I lost a lot of performance because of that.

Anyone found a configuration/workaround for 3D acceleration to work for 3D Studio Max 2019?

2. mathiasm

mathiasm Bit poster

Hi, FEG. How was 3DS MAX 2018 running on your Mac (is a Mac OS system?) I wonder because I have lots os trouble using versions newer then 2016, since I can not make viewports to show objects in Shading. Also, I get a lot of selection issues (selecting the object that's in front of another is hard, I keep getting the one in the back).

3. FEG

FEG Bit poster

Hi Mathias, I was running 3Ds Max 2018 on the 2017 Mac Book Pro. I've had acceptable results running previous versions of Max (2017 if not mistaken) on previous generation Mac Book Pros too. Basically I just install and run 3Ds Max and there's no problem, that is up until 3Ds Max 2019.

Maybe you can try allocate more memory to your Windows in Parallels settings. From my experience, 3Ds Max 2018 is running with no huge issues on my Windows 10 virtualisation.

4. mathiasm

mathiasm Bit poster

Hi FEG, thanks for the reply. I have a lot of memory allocated to MAX, but my problem is that viewports act really weird. Sometimes I can't see objects, other times I can't select objects. I think its something related to DirectX, since my render times and file loading is fast.

5. FEG

FEG Bit poster

I just fired up 3Ds Max 2018 in Parallels 13 with Windows 10 vm. Parallels Graphics settings using DirectX 10 3D acceleration, automatic graphics switching turned off. In 3Ds Max, the viewport is using Nitrous Software. Also updated to latest version 2018.4 Update.

I could try out your scene if it can be shared, as my scenes are relatively simple. Just wondering could it be scene complexity causing it.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @FEG, are you using Parallels Desktop Pro Edition? Have you set the Graphics memory to the recommended level? (VM's Configuration -> Hardware -> Graphics -> Memory) also, ensure that you have to set 3D Acceleration -> DirectX 10.

7. FEG

FEG Bit poster

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. I have no problems running 3Ds Max 2018 on my Parallels. It's @mathiasm who's having issues with his Max.

8. FEG

FEG Bit poster

Just found out a way to run 3Ds Max 2019 on Parallels 13 (Windows 10) with 3D acceleration (DirectX 10) enabled. (Previously 3Ds Max 2019 won't start with 3D acceleration on, I had to use my Parallels without 3D acceleration just so I can use 3Ds Max 2019)
    In order to run 3Ds Max 2019 with 3D acceleration turned on in Parallels, here's how: in the shortcut link of 3Ds Max, include the flag -vxs (This forces max to start in Nitrous with WARP mode: http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-87F2D870-90B6-461F-963C-5D01D93006AE)
    Hope this can help out for those who wants to run 3Ds Max 2019 on their Parallels 13 Windows 10 vm.

9. IanS9

IanS9 Junior Member

Thanks for the guide. I found the download link on chicagoir's blog, but when I tried to launch it, there was an error message 'Could not initialize the graphic device'. At last, I have the solution. Thanks.

10. AlexF8

AlexF8 Bit poster

Other than the -vxs trick, there is now an official solution: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124609
    Download and install the DX runtime, it works even for 3DS Max 2020 on Parallels 15.