4560: Boot from drive ......

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bobotto, Aug 4, 2007.

1. bobotto

bobotto Bit poster

When I get to starting the Windows XP virtual machine using the standard configuration I get hung up in the DOS prompt "Boot from drive ..." . After 15 minutes on a dual 2.5GHz nothing happens. Real drive activity ceases.

2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Have you trying to install Windows XP or boot a virtual machine that already has Windows XP installed? If you are trying to install someone had a similar problem, but I think the suggestion I made on that thread to change the boot order worked for them, so you could try that. If you already have installed Windows your installation may be corrupted, so try running a repair using the Windows XP install disc.

3. bobotto

bobotto Bit poster

No other virtual machine was installed. I removed all copies from my user/Documents folder. I changed the boot order and that didn't help. I reinstalled 4560 and again when I tried to create a virtual machine I got a white letters and blue screen message that I can't read completely because P flips back to the configuration window. It said something like "Windows has detected a problem .... and is shutting down." That is all I can read there was a lot more.

Because of the boot order change I was using the Windows XP install disk.

4. bobotto

bobotto Bit poster

I should point out that I had Parallels running Windows XP previously including under version 2.

It would be helpful if someone could tell me how to prevent Parallels from flipping back to the configuration window after Windows sends me a blue screen message window.

5. brkirch

brkirch Pro

This might be fixed in build 5060, so you might just want to try it to see if it works. It may be beta, but it doesn't seem that there have been as many serious problems with it as build 4560.

Unfortunately this is probably not possible because AFAIK Parallels only flips back to the configuration window when the VM sends a power down signal to the virtual hardware.

6. bobotto

bobotto Bit poster

Problem Solved!

Bingo! I got Windows XP running.

My problem was that I used the Windows Startup ROM. When I used an .iso image I created under version 2 everything worked.

I may have missed it but I didn't see any reference to the creation of a .iso image in the version 3 documentation nor did I find any tool to create the .iso so I assumed that version 3 handled the Windows Startup ROM directly.

Bad assumption.