64-bit guest on 32-bit host. CPU is 64 bit; VT enabled; CPU not compatible?

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by cannonball, Feb 17, 2009.

1. cannonball

cannonball Bit poster

Hi, I have an Intel Core2Duo e6600 and it has 64-bit compatibility. Virtualization is enabled (and has been by default) in the BIOS. I have a licensed copy of Parallels Workstation.

I am running a 32-bit host, Vista SP1 x86.
    I want to run a 64-bit guest, Windows Server 2008 x64.

I cannot successfully boot the Server2008 x64 DVD image in Parallels Workstation 2.2.2222. I see the following message:
    File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
    Info: Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode.

[​IMG]

Parallels: 'Enable hardware virtualization support' is checked
    Parallels: When in the VM, Help > About > More Info says 'Virtualization mode: Software mode 0'
    Parallels: VT-x support=1

I read somewhere on this forum that just because it says Software mode 0 does not mean there is no VT. Apparently no VMs start VT-x, but are recognized? Can someone clarify this?

I have searched the internet (thanks google!) with no luck resolving this issue. I downloaded a VMWare utility, VMware-guest64check-6.0.0-45731.exe, and that tells me my host is capable of running a 64-bit guest.

Thanks

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

3. cannonball

cannonball Bit poster

The whole reason I have this software is for 64-bit guest OS... are you sure you understand what I'm asking?
    VMWare and VirtualBox work fine on my computer to run 64-bit guest OS.

4. cannonball

cannonball Bit poster

Hi, I have followed up on this issue and it appears you are correct.

KB Parallels: Do Parallels virtual machines support 64-bit operating systems?

I was under the mistaken impression that I could create 64-bit guest operating systems. I actually found the KB article a little confusing although I understand it. I think there should be something clear in the KB like this:
    "No, Parallels Workstation does not support 64-bit guest operating systems."