A wonderful bug... New feature idea?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Mac2492, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Mac2492

Mac2492 Bit poster

(3036) A wonderful bug... New feature idea? (Overlaying Desktops!)

I found a bug in Parallels that you may be interested in. It allows you to diplay part of Windows' desktop directly over the MacOSX Desktop. It is a bug, yes, but a very useful one. If you take this bug out, could you please add something similar as a feature?

Here it is!

http://i16.tinypic.com/2rcqv10.jpg (Low Quality in order to reduce file size)

How this was done...

Parallels Beta Verison - Windows XP Installed

To glitch... Set the view to "Full Screen". Open a command prompt window and adjust it to the area that you want to glitch. Mine is that area on the left side. Switch the view to "Coherence". Minimize the Command Line. Voila! Now that area shows that part of the Windows desktop!

The thing is... You still have a different background image! Let's fix that up. Hide Parallels and move any files from the area being glitched. (You're moving them on MacOSX. You're about to take a screen capture.) Other icons are okay if you're going to keep the view this way. You're really going to have to clean your desktop up good if you want to it perfect. (Though you'll have to figure out how to hide your hard drive icon...)

Take a screen capture from the top left corner to the bottom right corner. Make sure you don't include the menu, but DO include the drop shadow. This is why you can't just drop the desktop image into Parallels and use that. The image is offset from the MacOSX one because of the OSX's menu. (And the dropshadow isn't there) Anyway... You should now have a screen shot that looks like this.

http://i13.tinypic.com/33mbiau.jpg

Also, the more accurate you are in starting exactly at the drop shadow, the better your results will be.

Copy that into Parallels. (Not the image I posted... The one that you took.) Set it as your desktop image. If you need to glitch Parallels again, do it. It's very easy to do...

Yeah, it's a pretty weird trick. Yes, you can see a little contrast between the two, but I find it satisfactory. I hope you enjoyed that. Now go run Windows and MacOSX split screen!

Tricks:
    Multiple Command Prompts can glitch multiple areas. You can set up a few Windows "Boxes" if you want to.

Fake icons. Take a picture and intentionally leave icons in the area you want to fake. Go through the normal process... Open the command promt and resize it to cover that one icon (or more if you have more), then glitch. You now have a fake icon on your Mac! (That runs Windows! See? Windows IS just a fake copy of Mac... *cough*...)

P.S. If you find more applications that can glitch Parallels, please share. We can come up with some pretty neat Desktop Setups with this.

P.P.S. I figured this out ten minutes ago.

EDIT: I copied this post directly from another forum I posted it on. That forums resizes images so... Errr... I left the image tags. Anyway, I couldn't access the edit button so I had to do some tweaking... The oversized images are fixed now. Thanks...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006