Able to change the # of GHz

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Hiohokaybye, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Hiohokaybye

Hiohokaybye Junior Member

Hope the parallels can actually let you change the amount of Ghz so you can run it even faster...

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

ummm it already runs as fast as the processor you have... if you have a 2.0Ghz mac, youre not going to get the VM to run any faster.....

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I would like to be able to create an Linux appliance and have the option to allow no more that NN% cpu time to that VM just as you can currently adjust the amount of RAM a VM gets. Some utility machines just don't require full cpu speed. SMTP/POP/IMAP server on a small intranet, for example. An old 90 mHz Pentium running Linux or Solaris works just fine in this role, and so too would a throttled VM.

But I keep hearing parallels is a consumer product so that feature may not make the cut.

4. aguydude

aguydude Member

It seems to me that you would be better off looking for a Utility to run (more likely on the host application) to limit the speed of an application. Of course, Parallels won't actually use the CPU if it doesn't need it, so you may be concerned over nothing.

5. Ynot

Ynot Pro

dkp, interesting and sounds good. But there is one bad thing called dynamiс processor speed control. In one case you can have 30% of 2 GHz CPU and in other case (a bit later when processor slowed its speed) 30% of 1 GHz CPU.

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven