"Abnormally terminated due to the unrecoverable error"

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by shmork, Jan 13, 2008.

1. shmork

shmork Bit poster

So I've tried to run compressor again and again and again and it won't work. It goes through all of the motions to "prepare to compress" (takes forever) and then finally gets to the part to be done in the Primary OS and gives me the old "Process of compacting of the virtual hard disk winxp.hdd was abnormally terminated due to the unrecoverable error."

This seems to have been an issue before but has anyone ever gotten an explanation from the company? I am using Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Build 5582, running on OS X 10.4.11.

What is going wrong? What can fix it? I am annoyed that this seems to not work for many people but the company has said nothing.

2. shmork

shmork Bit poster

Well, I tried manually defragging it using Windows XP's own defragger, and that didn't help anything. I've tried compacting it using only the primary OS by using Parallel's "Compact" button under Hard disk > Advanced in the settings. Same error. It's clearly a problem in the OS X side of the compacting.

It's pretty irritating. About 10 GB is tied up in just empty, wasted space, e.g. about 15% of my total (physical) HDD space. Wish someone would fix this, or at least acknowledge the issue. I can't find ANYTHING about it on the Parallels FAQ or manual or anything.

I filed an e-mail support complaint/request with Parallels, we'll see if they get back to me.

3. shmork

shmork Bit poster

Well, Parallels e-mail support told me to trying defragging and haven't gotten back to me since then. Blah. I've decided that they either don't know what's wrong or don't think I'm worth telling! Hard to tell which! :-/ I'm pretty unhappy. At the moment my .hdd file now only has 3GB on it, is totally defragged, but still takes up over 20GB and compressor fails each and every time with the same error.

4. shmork

shmork Bit poster