Access denied. You do not have enough rights to use this virtual machine.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RickK1, Sep 26, 2021.

1. RickK1

RickK1 Member

I recently updated MacOS, and now when I launch Parallels 17 Pro [v17.0.1 (51482)], I immediately get a pop-up window saying "Access denied." followed by "You do not have enough rights to use this virtual machine.".

The Pop-up does provide a link to a Parallels Knowledge Base article (https://kb.parallels.com/en/5796) which indicates checking read/write permissions and ownership for the .pvm file, but mine appear to be set correctly. It also suggests using the 'chmod" command to change permissions on directories/files, but macOS will not allow me to do it (I get two identical messages saying "Unable to change file mode on <file-name>: Operation not permitted).

This all worked fine a couple of days before the macOS upgrade. I originally tried this with Parallels v17.0.0, and when it failed, I checked for a Parallels upgrade (which was available) and installed it - same problem.

The macOS upgrade was to Monterey 12.0 (21A5522h) from an earlier version of Monterey 12.0.

IF anyone has some thoughts, they would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. RickK1

RickK1 Member

FYI, I ended up retrieving an old .PVM file from a backup that was done several days prior, and that resolved the problem.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. Hello,
    Thank you for sharing your results.
    Please let us know if the issue reoccurs.

4. DavidG63

DavidG63 Bit poster

I got the same error this evening, after upgrading to MacOS Monterey 12.0.1. I don't know how to retrieve "an old .PVM file from a backup that was done several days prior"; is there a procedure for this? Please help! Thanks.

5. DavidG63

DavidG63 Bit poster

Ah, never mind. Here is the procedure:
    (1) Look for the Windows 10.pvm file in Finder under "Recents";
    (2) Right-click to select "Get Info";
    (3) Click on the lock at the bottom right to make changes; and
    (4) Change the access for "everyone" to "Read & Write".
    This resolves the issue.

6. DavidG63

DavidG63 Bit poster

. . . but there remains a permissions issue that I haven't yet solved, which is that the VM can't seem to access anything that is on my Mac (either on the Desktop or elsewhere in the finder or on the C: drive). So, I can get the Windows 10 virtual machine to launch, but it can't access my files (documents, etc.). Please help!

7. Hi, could you collect the technical report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here please?