Access same virtual drive from multiple VMs?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Khoji, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Khoji

Khoji Member

Is it safe to access the same virtual drive (data only, no OS installed) from multiple Parallels virtual machines at the same time? For a bit of extra security I have the data accessed by my XP virtual machine installed in a second virtual drive that only contains data. I often have more than one version of Windows open at the same time for testing, and it would save space if they could all access the same data virtual drive, instead of each having their own drives. I'm just a little hesitant to do this before I'm absolutely sure that it's safe... ;)

2. Intersecting

Intersecting Parallels Team

I don't think Parallels will let you do it. You can use a shared folder in Mac that will be shared with both VMs to store Data.

3. Khoji

Khoji Member

That was my suspicion. On my desktop Mac it doesn't matter because I have lots of hard disk space but on my MacBook I want to avoid installing multiple virtual disks with the same data. I think I'll try putting all the data in a shared Mac folder -- that used to be a lot slower but in the current version of Parallels it seems to be pretty much OK.