Accessing Mac HD in Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jsloan10, Jun 10, 2007.

1. jsloan10

jsloan10 Bit poster

Is there a way to access my mac files in Parallels (I have a large file on my mac hd that I want to use with windows xp in parallels but cannot find out how to access it)

2. wesley

wesley Pro

You mean the Shared Folder feature? Shut down the VM and check the VM configuration.

3. jsloan10

jsloan10 Bit poster

then what, how do I create/ enable/ and then use a shared folder?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  4. wesley

wesley Pro

You just need to add a folder to the list there. For more details on the matter, read the user's guide.

BTW, not to be rude, I think this may be a good point to start reading that user's guide or help system a bit thoroughly because you might be asking these kind of basic questions already pointed out in those literatures every time it pops up.

5. jsloan10

jsloan10 Bit poster

thank you, and you're right, I imagine it is quite frustrating to answer silly ignorant noob quetions (no offense taken by your blunt and honest response) : )

6. jsloan10

jsloan10 Bit poster

sorry to ask again, but I still dont know how to access my mac files from my WinXP virtual machine. How can I take a daa file that I downloaded onto my Mac desktop and then convert it in windows?

7. wesley

wesley Pro

Shared Folder shortcut should appear on the VM's desktop. The actual shared folder itself would be set in the screen I mentioned earlier. So drag the .daa file into the shared folder on the Mac side that you specified (you could specify the Mac desktop, which would be ~\Desktop), and then it'll appear at the Windows side through the shared folder shortcut.

This may sound a bit complicated at first, so be patient.

8. sigma2

sigma2 Bit poster

If it is just a single file, just drag and drop the file from your Mac Desktop onto the Windows desktop. It is that easy.

To make the drag and drop work, you have to make sure, that the latest (the should be the same version as your Parallels software) Parallels Tools are installed in your Windows VM.

9. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

If you're in coherence mode, you won't see the desktop, you can go to this address in windows explorer:

\\.psf

And it will list all of the shared folders from the Mac side.

10. kion

kion Member

drag & drop from guest OS to Mac

Since upgrading to 3.0 I miss a feature I liked (although not the recurring question if I want to switch on file-sharing): Drag and drop from the Windows guest system to the Mac desktop. Now it seems that I am "locked in" in the guest OS. I do not want to use filesharing, as I am using the Parallels Desktop in a company environment and do not want to share any private information with admins.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.