Accessing VM Webserver (IIS) from Host OS (10.4)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by drmiller, Jul 3, 2007.

1. drmiller

drmiller Bit poster

On my guest OS (Windows XP) I use IIS for an ASP.NET web application that I can access fine from within XP. What I'd like to do is to access the VM web server from my Mac OS (10.4) using Safari.

Can't seem to find the right combination of IP addresses (I've used the Parallels-assigned IPs, the IP assigned by my routuer (DHCP) to the VM, etc. to put in the URL.

I hope this can be done with Parallels. If this can be done, could you please direct me to examples? Thanks.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried enabling Bridged Networking?

3. drmiller

drmiller Bit poster

After your suggestion, I changed the Network Adaptor to Bridged. An IP address was assigned to the VM (from ipconfig on the Windows side), and I tried to use that IP in the URL but nothing happened.

I'm not a network person, so is there something else I should try/set?

Thanks.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Can you ping that IP from your Mac side?

5. drmiller

drmiller Bit poster

I know how to do that from the PC side but don't have a clue how to do that from the Mac side.

With the bridged option, an IP is assigned by my router (DHCP). Ideally, I would like to access the PC web server from the Mac side (e.g. Safari) without being connected to any other network just using whatever network created by Parallels and its DHCP.

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

You have two options, both are stored under /Applications/Utilites:
    1. The Network Utility application.
    2. Terminal which gives you a command line. Type it like you would for Windows, replace my Xs with the proper IP:

ping -c 10 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Sounds like you don't want internet on the PC though... You can experiment with turning off shared networking and bridged networking to no networking and just use the internal IP that you see in System Preferences.