Activation issues on "new" Mac

Discussion in 'Licensing and Activation' started by DavidN36, Mar 6, 2024.

1. DavidN36

DavidN36 Bit poster

Hi
    I have a permanent licence for Desktop 16 and am having problems activating the software after moving my boot drive to an external SSD. It now asks me for an activation key for Desktop 17 (which I do not have). I just want to activate my existing copy of Desktop 16 which has been successfully migrated over to the new SSD and is currently open and running my Windows 10 VM but it is suspended. When I try to resume it keeps asking for a Desktop 17 key not a Desktop 16 key and won't let me access !

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

It seems that you have installed the version 17.

Please follow the steps below:

1. Remove the existing installation
    2. Download the version 16 from the link https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v16/16.5.1-49187/ParallelsDesktop-16.5.1-49187.dmg
    3. Install the downloaded version.
    4. try to activate

If the issue persists, please collect a technical report (click Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this e-mail.

3. DavidN36

DavidN36 Bit poster

Follow up - for anyone interested, I managed to get this working by moving my Windows 10 pvm file to another drive, deleting my Parallels application and then reinstalling being careful to install my Desktop 16 version from the Parallels website. It then allowed me to activate my existing Parallels 16 licence. Thanks