Adding 2nd virtual drive

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by forty2, Aug 22, 2006.

1. forty2

forty2 Bit poster

I need a second virtual HD for XP. I made one using the VM client; there is already a 30GB expandable C drive. I need this to be the E drive. But I can't see where to set the drive letter like you did in Virtual PC, and WinXP doesn't recognize the new virtual HD anyway (yes I restarted Windows).

2. ivel

ivel Member

If you have it in your PD config area then you are all set and it's a XP issue.
    Right click on my computer and select manage
    Then click on disk management
    There should be a Disk 1 there that is not assigned a drive letter or formatted
    To format right click on it and select Fortmat - NTFS is better unless you need FAT and you can do a quick format too
    If the drive does not become E then right click and select Change Drive letter and paths
    Click change, select E from the drop down and then hit OK

That should take care of it.

-Levi

3. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

You may also need to initialize

I had the exact same problem...in my case I first had to "initialize" the disk, then windows allowed me to format and assign a drive letter (same process as above, just choose initialize when you right click on the drive)...

Good luck

4. forty2

forty2 Bit poster

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed.

Maybe someday we will have good documentation? :)

5. azentropy

azentropy Bit poster

Can't blame that on parallels documentation - you have to do the same thing when you install a raw HD on a regular PC with Windows as well... ;)