Adobe Ultra CS3, will it run under Parallels or not?!?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Jigs Gaton, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton Product Expert

HI all, I finally ran into a program that I need that won't boot in the Parallels VM space on my iMac running leopard and the latest level of Parallels: Adobe Ultra CS3. I did some searching around and all I could find on the subject via google was a blog by an Italian film maker who was promoting VMware and saying this was one reason he switched. Is it true? Ultra just hangs in the vm space with all sorts of strange errors. I have given the space lots of mem and graphics mem, but still no go. Can anyone illuminate or ruminate? thx...
    coocoo

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

3. Jigs Gaton

4. John@Parallels

Actually it is the several software components bundled in one suite
    Each of this is working separately , we have many customers using it
    I suppose there are either errors during installation (as you say even in Boot Camp it is not working), or problems with OS itself

5. Jigs Gaton

Hi john, thanks for ur help, although I don't really understand what u are saying:) I don't think bootcamp is a good test of anything as it has problems on all our new macs and we don't use it all. But I do like PD very much and it works flawlessly with all other apps installed in windows there. I wish I understood more about the display driver that is installed with PD. I know Ultra depends on DirectX, and that seems to pass the diag tests just fine, so no clue there. All other Adobe CS3 apps work fine, but Ultra was a recent acquisition from Serious Magic, and not much was done to it other then branding, so to say that all the other apps work in the CS3 package is also not a good test. If u are from Parallels, can u tell me if Ultra was ever tested and found to work? Thanks!
    coocoo

6. John@Parallels

Ok, I am not using it, and if you refer to exact software, I can test it
    But I mean if you are using Boot Camp and there are errors, and you are using the smae Boot Camp as Vm , in this case there are problems not in VM, but in installation itself, or in OS
    I suppose as Ultra is bundle you can refer to exact component you have problems,
    Download url for that also will be appreciated

7. Jigs Gaton

Hi there John, I don't use bootcamp at all, and when I tried to start it on this new iMac to test it started loading drivers and then croaked, so I am not even interested in that at all. But I have a consistently great PD VM image that I always use everywhere I go...does not even matter what box I am on (its a wincloned image). The app in question is only available from Adobe in the CS3 Master or Production Premium suite of programs:
    Info: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/ultra/
    Trial software: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/trial/
    It's a somewhat obscure app I suppose, but is the best greenscreen keyer out there (inmho). SO to be clear, ULTRA is the app, not the bundle! Ultra is the only app in the bundle that does not work in PD. And going back to what the Italian fanboy from VMWARE had to say, its his reason for dumping PD for that product. I sure hope I don't have to do the same, as I love PD...cheers!
    coocoo

8. John@Parallels

It is from that page
    Individual components of Creative Suite 3 are also available as 30-day trials.

* Adobe After Effects® CS3 Professional
    * Adobe Premiere® Pro CS3
    * Adobe Soundboothâ„¢ CS3

Which one I need to test?

9. Jigs Gaton

Hi there! Well, on the link provided u will see that Ultra is only included in two suites: Master and Premium Production, so u have to download one of those trials to install Ultra (megadownload I'm sure:). That's the only way to do it, and I am not even sure if ULTRA is included in the trial suites, but I can't imagine it's not (what would the point be of excluding?). So that's that! thx.

Ps. I can see where the program is going wrong on my machine. It starts to load and push out a VM paging file to the limit, no matter what limit that is, ie max 4gig, and then when the page file limit is reached (2225712 in my case) then Ultra dies. Memory leak? dunno, I know nothing of these things really. I am just a videographer.

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

err... Why not run it on the Mac side of the force? CS3 actually exists for Mac, as with all(?) Adobe products, or am I missing something here?

Edit: Ok; I see, there are some Windows only products in CS3 (Dynamic Link, OnLocation and Ultra).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  11. Jigs Gaton

Its a weird one. I was so pissed when I realized Ultra was windows only. Dynamic link is not even a product, but a function like "Send To" in FCP. (How cheesy can u get with a 2.5k package?) But we upgraded a PC license just for that product. Then we got rid of all PCs...ha!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Yeah, this is a really odd one by Adobe, I was quite disappointed (what the hell, I was really pissed) with them when I realized this. You pay 2.5 K for their software and you still have buy a Windows license, they even recommend Mac users to run Boot Camp just for this. Add this to the fact that 64 bit CS4 will be Windows only, Adobe is getting on my nerves as of lately.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  13. Jigs Gaton

Added insult to injury: it does not even seem to work in either Bootcamp nor PD. If it were not for Dreamweaver and Photoshop we would just dump Adobe, but what to do?

14. AlexJ8

AlexJ8 Bit poster

eah, this is a truly odd one by Adobe, I was very disillusioned (what the heck, I was truly pissed) with them when I understood this. You pay 2.5 K for their product you actually have purchase a Windows permit and check here, they even prescribe Mac clients to run Boot Camp only for this. Add this to the way that 64 cycle CS4 will be Windows just, Adobe is driving me up the wall as of late.