Advice: Win 7 under Parallels Mac via Boot Camp or just VM?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MINHC, Jun 5, 2018.

1. MINHC

MINHC Bit poster

Are there any advantages to installing a Windows 7 guest under Parallels Desktop for Mac from a Boot Camp Win 7 partition? (As opposed to just installing the Win 7 guest as a virtual machine from within Parallels.) For example, speed; backup & maintenance. Of course I do understand that with the Boot Camp method, you can directly boot into Windows without booting into Mac OS X.
    Any disadvantages? (Aside from what I understand is the current annoyance of having to do a telephone activation of Win 7 for the virtual machine after having activated Win 7 for the Boot Camp partition.)

(I was surprised that the user's guide didn't provide any guidance about this - at least none I could find. It seems like an obvious issue.)

2. Hi MINHC. Installing the Windows 7 as a virtual machine using Parallels Desktop or installing the Windows 7 directly in BootCamp partition and configuring it using Parallels Desktop works in the same way because the same virtual adapters will be installed for both the methods. Hence, there will not be any difference in performance but you may encounter Windows activation issue as you have mentioned. In that case, you need to contact Microsoft Support to reset the product key and activate the BootCamp based Windows virtual machine and then activate in the native BootCamp.