After upgrade from 5608, Unable to start virtual machines

Edward McCants

Bit poster
This has happened to me after 5626 came out and now again with 5636. I install the new version, start parallels, and then try to start my XP virtual machine, and I get a forever spinning pinwheel. Parallels must then be force quit, and even then the Dock still thinks that it is running (can't do anything until logout and relogin). The first time, I was able to recover by deleting the parallels app and the virtual machine and restoring both via Time Machine. That did not work this time.

I really don't want to have to spend the time to reinstall XP and programs.
 
Hello,

1) Please reinstall Parallels Desktop by the following KB article:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790

2) Here is the direct download link to our latest build, use it to reinstall the application:


http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/GA/Parallels-Desktop-5626-Mac-en.dmg

After that please reinstall Parallels Tools:

1. Launch Windows Guest OS.
2. Open Add/Remove programs control panel in Windows and remove Parallels Tools if present.
3. Reboot Windows XP guest OS.
4. Install Parallels Tools using "Install Parallels Tools" menu item in the Action menu of the Parallels Desktop application.
5. Reboot Windows one more time.
 
This resolved the problems I was having.

And for those keeping score at home, yes the reboots (or at least one of them) is necessary to resolve the problem.
 
Back
Top