I have made several attempts to opgrade VM from XP to Windows 8. All attemps failed. I tried to updgrad from a download of Windows 8 Pro, but I also have a backup DVD from Microsoft.
Initially, I installed from the dvd. The installation process was smooth and without problems, but in the end not good enough because the dvd contains an opdate version of Win8Pro. I had acces to the web but the activation was denied because I did not have a full installation dvd.
Therefore I installed Win XP. This went smooth and I also activated and updated this installation. After that I tried to upgrade to Win 8 several times but all attempts where unsuccesful. In the end Win 8 seems to be running but without acces to a network adapter. The complaint is that a driver is missing. Beause I don't have access to the web, it is not possible to get a driver from Microsoft Update. In fact there is something wrong completely. In the XP configuration internet acces is via the Parallels adapter, but after upgrading to Win 8 some Microsoft adapter is connected instead.
I am new to Win 8 but I think that some elements in de startmenu are also missing.
Has anyone encounterd similar problems?
I have read the upgrade procedure on the Parallels website, so I know that what I need should be possible.
Thanks in advance.
Rob Kole
The Netherlands
Initially, I installed from the dvd. The installation process was smooth and without problems, but in the end not good enough because the dvd contains an opdate version of Win8Pro. I had acces to the web but the activation was denied because I did not have a full installation dvd.
Therefore I installed Win XP. This went smooth and I also activated and updated this installation. After that I tried to upgrade to Win 8 several times but all attempts where unsuccesful. In the end Win 8 seems to be running but without acces to a network adapter. The complaint is that a driver is missing. Beause I don't have access to the web, it is not possible to get a driver from Microsoft Update. In fact there is something wrong completely. In the XP configuration internet acces is via the Parallels adapter, but after upgrading to Win 8 some Microsoft adapter is connected instead.
I am new to Win 8 but I think that some elements in de startmenu are also missing.
Has anyone encounterd similar problems?
I have read the upgrade procedure on the Parallels website, so I know that what I need should be possible.
Thanks in advance.
Rob Kole
The Netherlands