airport connectivity issue only when VM is running

Brianjonesphoto

Bit poster
I'm having issues with my wireless connection when my xp sp3 vm is running. With parallels open but no vm running or when just working in osx I'm not having any issues.

I'm not 100% sure what is causing the problem. I don't know if it's packet loss or signal issues. The VM is running in airport bridged mode. The airport connection shows full strength and it never shows that the connection drops. On the VM the status of the the wireless network shows limited or no connectivity. Outlook also has issues keeping connected to my exchange server.

When I'm experiencing the connection drop it's on both the VM and OSX. If I turn airport off and then turn it back on it seems to reset and I get the connection back.

Thanks
 
Brianjonesphoto,

please, install the latest updates from Apple, especially concerning Airport.
For example: Airport Disk Utility, Airport Utility, Migration Assistant etc.
After restarting the computer, Airport connectivity should work in both virtual machine and OS X.
 
using software update no airport related updates show up, but I do remember installing some. I've just installed 10.5.6 I'll report back if I have any continuing issues.
 
I'm still having the same problems after installing 10.5.6. While I experince the issue this morning I opened activity monitor and noticed that packets were sending, but there was nothing being recieved. Airport icon showed that the connection never dropped.
 
ifconfig:
MBP15-2:~ brianjones$ ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:1f:5b:f7:c7:65
media: autoselect status: inactive
supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::21e:c2ff:fec4:d26d%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
inet 192.168.0.109 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
ether 00:1e:c2:c4:d2:6d
media: autoselect status: active
supported media: autoselect
fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 4078
lladdr 00:1f:f3:ff:fe:2c:a1:b2
media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
en4: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:1e:c2:95:0b:af
media: autoselect status: inactive
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>
en5: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:8%en5 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
inet 10.211.55.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.211.55.255
ether 00:1c:42:00:00:08
media: autoselect status: active
supported media: autoselect
en6: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:9%en6 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9
inet 10.37.129.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.37.129.255
ether 00:1c:42:00:00:09
media: autoselect status: active
supported media: autoselect

ipconfig:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Brian.BRIANJONESPHOTO>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mbp15
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : brianjonesphoto.com
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : brianjonesphoto.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Parallels Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-42-9E-64-A8
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.114
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.110
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.110
192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:54:43 A
M
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 29, 2008 11:54:43 A
M

C:\Documents and Settings\Brian.BRIANJONESPHOTO>

I just restarted the VM and everything is working. I'll grab these again when I'm experiencing the problem
 
Back
Top