All USB ports are currently being used.

sparklight

Bit poster
I am doing software development for a machine that consists of lots of USB devices (more than 10), and has internal hubs. One plugs it into a computer that runs the driving software.

I would like to be able to use Parallels to do this so I don't have to reboot into Windows, but I'm having a problem. I plug in the machine and Parallels Desktop gives me all these "Do you want to connect the device" dialogs. I say Yes, but each time I do, it replies,
"Cannot connect USB Device.
All USB ports are currently being used. To connect this USB device, disconnect another USB device and try again."

So it seems that Parallels has some kind of limit to the number of USB devices it will handle. True? Is there any way I can configure it to take more?


PLEASE, Parallels, could you make this number UNLIMITED in the future? It would be so nice not to have to think about a limit!

Ken
 
Last edited:
I've run into the same problem. I actually have an array of USB devices I want to connect to my Imac... 20 of them... but I discover... plugging I cannot plug in more than two of them! So I started looking through documentation for Parallels... and tucked away in there is the statement that you can only use a maximum of 8 USB devices... And my isight, keyboard and mouse, and infrared reciever are all counting toward that 8! In the end, it looks like until Parallels allows me full access to all USB devices attached to my computer, I've wasted my money trying to avoid having to boot into windows. Plus, since I bought and installed Parallels first, bought and installed Windows XP as a Parallels VM, I get the added bonus of needing to reinstall windows on a new partition under bootcamp (as I don't find an easy way to turn my Parallels VM into my Boot Camp windows installation.) Until the USB debockle I was certain I'd found the Holy Grail of OS options with Parallels. Great program, but not quite what I need, darn.
 
Back
Top