Altium Designer 18 in Windows 10 Edu

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JamieS73, Sep 7, 2018.

1. JamieS73

JamieS73 Junior Member

Hi all, I'm new to Parallels.

I have a Windows 10 Edu guest OS running Altium Designer 18 (v8.1.6). Everything works except horizontal scrolling. Scrolling vertically works, but when I press shift (or alt, depending on the keybind) it breaks.

I submitted tech support request to Altium, but they think it's an issue with the VM and aren't taking any responsibility. I also read in a different post that AD18 uses DirectX. I don't know much about DirectX, but could that be causing my horizontal scroll function to fail?

2. DeanP3

DeanP3 Bit poster

I have the same problem. Shift scroll sort of works but it gives me some combination of horizontal scrolling, vertical scrolling, and zooming. Instead I use the right mouse button (or two-fingers on the track-pad). Hold down and you can drag horizontal and vertical.

3. JamieS73

JamieS73 Junior Member

A Parallels rep told me it's because my license level doesn't support "heavy graphics" programs. I don't believe that, but I never found a solution. I have since reinstalled Altium Designer 17 to get smoother graphics performance. The trackpad scrolls much too slow, so I use a mouse. It works but isn't ideal.

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @JameiS73, please let us know the edition of Parallels Desktop you are using.

5. DansonC

DansonC Bit poster

Hi Jamie, I had the same problem before with Bootcamp, WIN7 and Altium Designer 15 back on 2015. At first I thought it was the Macbook keyboard not compatible with windows 7 since this problem only happened when I use the Macbook keyboard. If I use external keyboard, I didn't have this problem. Last week I bought a new laptop which is MSI GS63 with Windows 10. I installed AD18 and unfortunately this mouse scroll/zoom problem appeared again. I then reinstall AD15 and it still gives me this problem. I use the exact same external Keyboard which I had no problem with my old Macbook+WIN7+AD15. I am so frustrate now, I have no idea how to fix it. Please let me know if you have any solution.

Thanks

6. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Hi @JameiS73, Even display resolution might be causing this issue please try changing the display resolution of virtual machine. Go to virtual machine's configuration> Hardware> Graphics> Resolution and select Scaled. Then go to "Advanced settings" , change 3D acceleration to DirectX 9 and disable Vertical Synchronization. Now, restart the application (Altium designer) and check the issue.

7. JamieS73

JamieS73 Junior Member

To reply to everyone,
    @Arun@Parallels: I have Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac Home Edition (which I bought via a Student option through my university's Kivuto partnership)
    @DansonC: I'm sorry that you're having the same problem I am, however the fact that you're having this problem on Bootcamp and a native PC suggests to me that it's not a Parallels issue. I suggest installing AD17 on your Win10 laptop since it is newer but does not use the same graphics APIs as AD18.
    @KebhaK@Parallels:
    Already done. I primarily use my VM on a 1080p external display and so my graphics settings were already set to Scaled for that. Note: the issue is the same on both my laptop's built in display and the external display, with "Best for Retina" and "Scaled" resolution settings respectively.
    Changing the 3D acceleration to DX9 fixed the issue. Disabling VSYNC did not appear to make a difference. Why might the DirectX version cause such and issue? Does my Parallels edition not support DX10 applications, despite the available configuration option?

8. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

What doesn't support DirectX 10 in this instance is the concerned application itself. This issue is not related to Parallels Desktop.

9. JamieS73

JamieS73 Junior Member

Interesting. The Recommended System Requirements for AD17 list DirectX 9c or later. I would think this means DirectX 10 works, but it doesn't. Thanks for your insight.

10. JamieS73

JamieS73 Junior Member

Just an update: I tried using AD18 on a Win10 remote desktop (via Microsoft Remote Desktop). The shift+scroll feature does not work there either. However, shift+scroll does work on Chrome, which leads me to believe that the Mac does not have any conflict with simultaneous keyboard and mouse input (likewise, how could anyone play a game on a mac?). Perhaps the issue is common to MRD and Parallels due to a bug in a shared API. Regardless, at this point, I do not know the cause of the bug but it is certainly larger than just Parallels.