Annoying menu bar in El Capitan

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by sinsro, Oct 1, 2015.

1. SMXSteve

SMXSteve Bit poster

I have the same problem with Windows 7, Parallels 10.3, MacBook with El Capitan. Double menu bar = very annoying.

I think it's also part of Parallels freezing depending on when you click. Similarly I notice that if an OS message pops up like App Updates Parallel freezes.

Active Screen Corners doesn't do a thing.

It appears upgrading to 11 doesn't fix it.

sinsro likes this.
  2. J.R.M1

J.R.M1 Bit poster

Please specify exactly how this action would be performed. (Email support? "Help->Request Support" from the Parallels application itself? Do something from within this forum post?)

I have literally no idea what you're asking us to do.

3. FredrikJ1

FredrikJ1 Bit poster

I called technical support, and apparently this is a known problem in OS X El Capitan.

The workaround that Pararells setup for me, was to setup a secondary desktop (start Misson Control and click + in the top bar), switch to the new desktop using 3 finger swipe to the right and start Pararells in this desktop instead - also be sure to turn off the checkbox Configure > Full Screen > Use OS X Full Screen in the machine settings.

If you need to access the OS X menu bar from within the host, press and release Ctrl+Alt simultaneously.

4. Daniel8

Daniel8 Bit poster

Do you mean we would have to create a whole new installation of windows on top of my OS X and main parallels windows VM? could we then delete the original windows VM?

5. FredrikJ1

FredrikJ1 Bit poster

No... To clarify:
    - In your host (OS X) start Mission Control (from Applications) and simply add a new desktop by clicking the + in the top bar. Switch between your current desktop, and the one you just added by using a touchpad 3 finger swipe to the right or left.
    - On the new desktop, start Parallels and configure your Windows-machine to NOT use OS X Full Screen, then start the machine.

Now, you have your normal desktop and the machine running in your newly added desktop (but without using the OS X Full Screen feature - which disables the OS X menubar from appearing in Windows). You may, however show the OS X menubar, if you need it, by tapping Ctrl+Alt).

Happy computing!

ArunR1 and J.R.M1 like this.
  6. Daniel8

Daniel8 Bit poster

(Since) After you said this I understood what you meant, i followed your instructions but it still doesn't work. i added a new desktop, but parallels (and all my other open programs) is already open there, from the original desktop, so i can't start a new instance of it. i wonder if it is because i am on os x 10.11?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  7. Daniel8

Daniel8 Bit poster

frederikj1 hello, i edited my reply in case you misunderstood the way i worded it

8. MohamedM1

MohamedM1 Bit poster

This problem has been the worst thing that happened to me since I used Parallels.
    I really love everything about this product. What they enable is amazing and works like magic.

But now I really hate their support.

I did a report using the support function built into the application. I later got an email I need to purchase support to get this resolved. Worst part is that I lost the detailed report I wrote them with no reference ID or copy of my input in that silly automated reply.

I tweeted at the support account with a screenshot:
    https://twitter.com/Meligy/status/651930923894620160
    [​IMG]
    They sounded cooperating and told me to send it by email.
    Then I was asked to write the whole thing for the 3rd time in email!!

And after all that?

Their support guy kept telling me I should just disable the OS X Full Screen mode, as suggested here, which is the only available workaround of course and what I discovered by myself.
    I kept trying to explain to him that this should be just a temporary workaround not a solution, and his reply back was just assuming I didn't understand what he meant.

I gave up on him after that. I didn't give up on the issue obviously as I look at it today, because it's really annoying.

I'm equally concerned about the support not addressing this as I am about the issue itself as well.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    sinsro likes this.
  9. sinsro

sinsro Junior Member

That sounds worrying, if they think the issue is solved because of some poor workaround with lots of bad side effects...

Personally, I got so fed up I just started to use a desktop PC instead. This unsolved issue in Parallels simply harmed my productivity too much. And I am frustrated suppport wont take it seriously. It should be an easy matter to fix.

MohamedM1 likes this.
  10. J.R.M1

J.R.M1 Bit poster

Thanks for clarifying. After shutting the my VM down, changing the configuration settings to NOT use Full Screen, then launching in a new Mission Control desktop and selecting the built-in Mac "Fullscreen" green button in the windowed mode, it's working as it used to. (Displaying in fullscreen mode, and when I bring my mouse to the top of the screen, no more Mac menu bar appearing.) While this *is* just a workaround, it's VERY much appreciated!

11. WalterS2

WalterS2 Junior Member

I opened a support call, too. Same expirience: I was not taken serious - i should deactive OSX full screen mode. Also I was told, that this is a limitation on Mac OS.
    So I downloaded Fusion. They have option there that just put's away the menu bar. And it works with fusion.
    Parallels: Pls open a support ticket at Apple and fix this! You sure have this option!

MohamedM1 likes this.
  12. WalterS2

WalterS2 Junior Member

Todays update, Version 11.1.0 (32202), seems to fix it! Have not rebooted yet. But menubar is gone in full screen. Same behaviour than before in PD10 + Yosemite.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  13. ArunR1

ArunR1 Bit poster

@FredirkJ1, thank you. This seems to be working for me. So far I don't seem to have lost any functionality with this setup.

14. ArunR1

ArunR1 Bit poster

Yes, indeed. It is working properly now!

15. MichaelR9

MichaelR9 Bit poster

What settings are you using to get it to work? Mine is not working with the latest update.

16. SMXSteve

SMXSteve Bit poster

I've switched to VirtualBox. I like it better but it too has the menu bar problem.

17. WalterS2

WalterS2 Junior Member

I did all that mentioned in this thread but finally ended up in set all back to what it was before. So finally I've changed nothing but did the upgrade (long time ago). Since then: No issues.

I also tried Fusion, VirtualBox. But still I like the integration in Parallels the most. I wish I'd have this for Ubuntu as well (for my PC in office) to easily switch back and forth between Linux and Windows with a single Desktop folder, single Documents, aso.

18. MohamedM1

MohamedM1 Bit poster

It's working for me with the same config in the screenshot above:

- Choose Mac OS style fullscreen
    - Enable active corners (even with no corner set to anything)

Copying the picture again, obviously the red comment about the menu is outdated:

[​IMG]

19. msnishant

msnishant Bit poster

Guys please generate the problem report using this KB and reply us back with the report 8-digit ID number.

20. MichaelR9

MichaelR9 Bit poster

The link you posted does not go to a site where you can report anything. Can you post the correct link?