Another Unlucky Parallels 4 Install Attempt

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by HughM, Aug 28, 2009.

1. HughM

HughM Bit poster

Bought the upgrade online today, and ran into problems I've seen now on many forums but without seeing a solution.

The machine is a four core Mac Pro running 10.5.8 - 4GB memory and lots of spare hard disk space and happily running Parallels 3 with Windows XP for years. I'm only upgrading because I want to upgrade to Snow Leopard and read that Parallels 3 won't run.

The symptoms - in order - are.

At the end of the installation process, a panel briefly appeared saying I'd have to restart my machine, but blinked out just as fast without forcing me to restart. I restarted anyway before running the newly installed Parallels. It started the conversion process but didn't get very far before flashing the panel that required that I finish the conversion manually. On clicking OK I didn't get any of the screens in the troubleshooting guide, instead I got a very small Parallels window with Windows saying the hardware had changed and I needed to re-register. It also captured the mouse so I could not get back out of the window. Since this didn't seem right I force-quit out of Parallels and tried starting it again to have it jump immediately to the register Windows request (and re-capturing the mouse). I seem to be stuck. Fortunately I had a Super Duper back-up and could revert to before I started the upgrade attempt. I haven't come across anyone with the same problem in the FAQ's, the troubleshooting guide or this forum. I don't think there's anything special about my set-up. In Parallels 3 I had Windows set to auto-start and have never bothered installing virus software as I use it only occasional, but essentially, for a couple of applications that have no Mac equivalent.

Is this unique? Is there a work-around? I can't afford to spend a day on what should surely be a simple upgrade.

Hugh