Any benefits to more that 2 virtual cpus?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Parallels User, Aug 22, 2018.

1. I notice that when installing Linux on my MacBook Pro, Parallels suggests 2 cpus. I know all the discussions about why not to use multiple cpus - including
    things like lock contention, excessive host cpu switching due to locking in the VM and so on.
    Is there any benefit in the new release to more than 2 virtual cpus?

2. Michael@Parallels

Michael@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Sterling,

The situation regarding resource sharing in Parallels Desktop 14 is the same as before. So, if your Mac is equipped with with a 4-core processor, giving 2 CPUs to a virtual machine would be the most balanced solution.

3. EnriqueG2

EnriqueG2 Bit poster

i'm about to buy a new macbook pro. Will it do any good to buy an 8 core i9 over a 6 core i7? I use the vm mostly for MS Office work but tend to have multiple mac and windows programs open concurrently

4. zslg01

zslg01 Member

Given the massive changes coming at the Apple community (ARM based systems for one), IMHO I would buy what you need, what will carry you for a couple of years, and what you can afford. The whole 'how many cpus' question and what the answer is will change a lot by YE 2021.