Any chance for an improvement in mouse handling anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChrisM16, Jun 18, 2017.

1. ChrisM16

ChrisM16 Junior Member

I still have intermittent 5-second mouse freezes in my Win7 VM (running on 41591), irrespective of settings attempted. Originally, I thought this was a problem with my Win7 mouse driver, but that can't be the case as the Parallels virtual device driver takes over. So, any chance of correcting the mistake that crept in two releases ago?

Chris M

AdrienneO likes this.
  2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ChrisM16 , please click on Parallels icon ll > Configure > Hardware > Keyboard & Mouse > Select " Do not optimise for Games" and check if that is working.

AdrienneO likes this.
  3. ChrisM16

ChrisM16 Junior Member

Hi Arun,

Just tested again, and no, that makes no difference,

Chris M

AdrienneO likes this.
  4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ChrisM16 , please take snapshot ( Action > Take snapshot) and then please click Win + R and type devmgmt.msc , right click and remove the mouse drivers . Once it is done, please click Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools and let us know if that helps.

5. ChrisM16

ChrisM16 Junior Member

Hi Arun,
    Nope, no difference, I'm afraid,

Chris M

6. ChrisM16

ChrisM16 Junior Member

Just updated to Version 12.2.1 (41615), no change... :(

7. ChrisM16

ChrisM16 Junior Member

This is the "Pro Edition" and the mouse randomly freezes, sometimes jumps around the screen and just generally doesn't behave like something to which I subscribe money to. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Chris M

AdrienneO likes this.
  8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ChrisM16, please follow the steps to fix the issue.
    1. Shut Down virtual machine.
    2. Open Virtual Machine configuration
    3. Go to Hardware > Boot Order > and paste in Boot Flags box:
    video.hw_pointer=0

9. ChrisM16

ChrisM16 Junior Member

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for that, it's markedly more predictable without any acceleration. However, a modicum of acceleration would be good,as without any, it looks nothing so much as a very old video card...

thanks,

Chris M

AdrienneO likes this.
  10. ChrisM16

ChrisM16 Junior Member

I've just had to re-install Parallels on a replacement Mac and the wretched mouse is misbehaving even with the 'video.hw_pointer=0' switch. Same video card, same drives, same Win7 VM (albeit with the Parallels Toolbox re-installed another few times). Now, in spite of the three possible settings for the mouse, 'Auto detect' has one black pointer that gets captured by any Windows frame that gets clicked plus a white version that sits on the frame last touched. 'Optimise for games' does much the same thing, needing Ctl-Alt to free the mouse, and 'Don't optimise' sort of works but leaves a white pointer where the last mouse click was. The three required devices are present in the Win7 CP Mouse properties pane, everything says its working and yet here I am with an almost unusable VM.

Any ideas?

11. ChrisM16

ChrisM16 Junior Member

The coda to this is that the 'video.hw_pointer=0' switch was the problem; 13 seems to have got rid of many of the mouse problems I was getting. All good.

AdrienneO likes this.