any way to allow 2x connections but forbid mstsc connections

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by ghinky, Dec 6, 2006.

1. ghinky

ghinky Guest

I'm trying to station restrict one of a few apps on a Terminal Server. You can do this from inside 2x and it works great but you can still RDP directly to the server and log in.

I can't forbid RDP cause that'll break 2x.

I can't use SecureRDP because I have other apps on this server that I don't want IP restricted.

Any ideas on how to restrict this?

On a slightly related topic is there any way to forbid saving passwords on the 2x client?

2. ghinky

ghinky Guest

maybe change listener port?

I realize that this is security through obscurity but perhaps I could change the TS listening port from 3389. That way when people use mstsc it will fail but if they use the 2x client it'll work.

I tried this but I can't get it to work. I have one server acting as the gateway and a separate server as the Term server. If I change the port on the term server and Check Agent under Servers in Farm then it correctly says the new port. But clients won't connect. I just get a "client could not access the remote application" error.

Terminal services still work from mstsc if you add the port to the computer name.

3. nixu

nixu Guest

The latest 2x client, has a save password option.

Make sure you a have updated the port number from the console too, Connection settings, RDP Port.

Nixu

4. ghinky

ghinky Guest

yeah, missed the listener port

Yeah, I didn't change the RDP port on the server properties. I assumed that since the Check Agent dialog knew what RDP port was being used that all was well.

I know I can save the password. I want to forbid saving of the password so that users have to enter it every time. I want to take away the save password check boxes.