Anybody found the so called Touch Bar Wizard?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MortenL, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Justin149

Justin149 Bit poster

I am having the exact same problem... no menu is showing up.

2. ThomasN3

ThomasN3 Bit poster

I can see the menu, but only in full-screen mode.
    That said, when I click it, I only get to choose the small number of "default" buttons which OSX offers. None of the function keys show up. I was expecting to be able to assign hotkeys, but none of that seems to be possible.
    This makes the customization quite useless as I could just as well have OSX put the function keys on the touchbar...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  3. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

@ThomasN3, Touch Bar Wizard is a default macOS feature, we can't modify the set of buttons available for you there. However, if you want to assign hotkeys, we can do that. Please refer to this post: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/custom-items-on-touch-bar.341571/#post-826535

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

@Justin149, just to confirm, you have an active Windows program selected, then accessing 'View' menu not showing 'Customize Touch Bar...' option, am I right?

5. ToddB3

ToddB3 Bit poster

The Touch Bar integration was something that I immediately zeroed in on with this upgrade ... and found it very underwhelming (sorry, no disrespect). Parallels allows you to refine certain hot keys for individual programs - but what I was ultimately after was being able to create links to other programs or such directly on the Touch Bar.

This feature would be fantastic because I run my Win 10 VM in Coherence mode all the time and want to be able to start certain key virtual programs without having to click on the Windows Start menu and find the program in the list. So I set out to see if I could actually make this happen... and you can.

By getting the app BetterTouchTool (https://www.boastr.net) and combining it with the shortcuts that Parallels builds automatically each time a VM is opened (the Parallels shortcuts can be found at /{User name}/Applications (Parallels)/{Name of VM} folders in case you didn't know) you can create your own custom menu to any type of app (Mac apps, VM apps, etc). BetterTouchTool is incredibly powerful and is dirt cheap (pay what you want for it).

Here is a screenshot of my current setup. I've got the Windows File Explorer, Visual Studio 2017, SSMS, various company apps and the last two are actually sub menus for additional Win 10 apps (containing Xml Notepad, command prompt, IE, etc) and Ubuntu apps. Now with a touch or two on the Touch Bar, I can immediately start all of my critical programs in my Coherence Win 10 and Ubuntu.

[​IMG]

Anyways - I am not trying to be negative to Parallels in any way here - just showing how you can combine their awesome program with another tool to configure your Mac and do some killer things.

6. MortenL

MortenL Bit poster

@todd
    This is awesome!!!

Do you have any idea if you cans tart an application as administrator this way? I need to start Visual Studio as administrator for some projects.