API? User "Pubic" IP Address?

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by JasonR10, Oct 24, 2018.

1. JasonR10

JasonR10 Junior Member

Is there an API a developer can use to get session information that Terminal Server does not otherwise provide? I am looking for a way to get the users "Remote Public IP" address so that I can authenticate users in our custom software by their Public IP address.

If not public IP, what about their MAC address?

2. JasonR10

JasonR10 Junior Member

Bump..

3. jpc

jpc Pro

@JasonR10 At what point do you need this information, during the session or before?

4. JasonR10

JasonR10 Junior Member

During the session.

5. jpc

jpc Pro

@JasonR10 During the session, published applications have access to extra environment variables that start with the prefix "TUX_", including one that has the MAC address reported to RAS. Make sure you are using the latest 16.5 client otherwise not all the functionality may be available.

If this is not workable, I suggest to file a Feature Suggestion on this forum describing any possible improvements.

6. JasonR10

JasonR10 Junior Member

Thank you, I will experiment with that. That might just work!

7. JasonR10

JasonR10 Junior Member

In my experimenting, this seems to work. However, I did notice that if I start a session from one device then log in from another device and hijack the original session, these Environment variables are not updated to the new client info.

8. jpc

jpc Pro

@JasonR10 Yes, unfortunately that is a limitation of windows environment variables.

9. JasonR10

JasonR10 Junior Member

Maybe their needs to be a better way these variables are stored / retrieved then. Possibly in a registry key or an API call. Two step authentication for an unrecognized device built in to our software is essential, but we also want users to be able to reconnect to existing sessions. In theory, a hacker could logon to an existing session and their would be no way to know if the MAC address changed.

jpc likes this.