Apple System Menu Slowdown Message

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by SkipNewarkDE, Jun 21, 2006.

1. SkipNewarkDE

SkipNewarkDE Junior Member

I got this message today when selecting the Apple Menu:

You have just attempted to open Apple system menu. Please note that usage of some Apple system menu items when launched from Parallels Desktop may result in significant slowdown of the whole system performance. If you want to use Apple menu items, please switch focus to the Finder (use Cmd+Tab key combination) and click Apple system menu in this application.

What are the mysterious items which cause the system slow-down? Why does this happen?

Just curious.

2. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I'm going to bump this because I was wondering the same thing.

I have FruitMenu by Unsanity, and it allows me to customize my Apple menu.

More-over, I can customize them based on individual applicaitons, so I can remove items from parallels only under the Apple menu.

Right now I've removed everything except Shutdown, restart & log out, because assumibly thoes items shouldn't cause much of a slow down seeing as they would quick the application any way.

But it would be nice to know what specific items cause the so called system slow down, so I can keep things that won't hurt it while being sure to remove things that will...

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

You should switch focus on any other application to safely using Apple system menu.

4. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

So I guess the alert should say the Apple Menu instead of "some" Apple Menu items in the program then...

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Actually there are known problems only with Location submenu. It issues fork() in context of Parallels process and stalls the host with huge amount of duplicating memory. We are discussing how to avoid this with Apple team.

6. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

Awsome, thanks for the info.