Apple US-International keyboard layout maps wrong keys to windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by pierobon, Mar 25, 2013.

1. pierobon

pierobon Junior Member

Hello, I'm having some trouble finding the correct keyboard layout to use with windows.
    I have a notebook that uses the Apple version of the US-International keyboard, based on a ISO layout.
    Microsoft US-International is an ANSI based layout: pretty much the same US layout, but with different mappings.

You can see both the layouts in this webpage here, named "English (International)" and "English (USA)".
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2841?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The problems are that windows maps the § key to `, and the ` key to \ so I end up with 2 \ keys on the keyboard and no §. Some shifts and alts are also different than the mac mapping.

What can I do to fix this?
    Thanks a lot.

2. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

3. pierobon

pierobon Junior Member

Oh, I didn't find it because I am using parallels 7 and I excluded parallels 8 from the search...
    Anyways, the article you posted also applies to prl7.
    It solves all the key mapping issues.

But now the problem is: these keyboard layouts are only available in the US form, not in the US-International. So whatever accents I press, it does not allow me to put them above vowels like á é ü ã è etc - it only gives me 'a `e "u ~a `e.
    How can we solve this?

Thanks.

4. GeoFili

GeoFili Bit poster

I had the same problem and finally tracked it down to a new feature they added to Parallels 8 called "KeyboardLayoutSync"

It is supposed to sync your Windows keyboard to MAC but seems to screw up my Apple English International keyboard instead.

You can switch the feature off like this:

1. Shut down virtual machine
    2. Location virtual machine file in finder
    3. Right click and choose 'Show package contents'
    4. Locate and open the config.pvs file with textpad.
    5. Find the key: KeyboardLayoutSync
    6. Set the value to: 0
    7. Save the config file

Open Virtual machine and Voilà - problem fixed.

Note:
    For the Apple English International Keyboard, use the following language layout in windows:
    "United States ISO/RU (Apple) - Parallels"

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  5. PaoloT1

PaoloT1 Member

Unfortunately, this is not working for me. Still, my Mac ISO keyboard is recognized as an ANSI one. Parallels' support says that it is a fault of the Mac OS, but I see countless thread reporting the same issue with multiple client OSs.
    Paolo