Attachments in MS Outlook

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ANDREA123, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ANDREA123

ANDREA123 Junior Member

Hello,

I have a weird problem that I cannot sort out. I am using Parallels 6 with XP (sp 2), and have Office Enterprise 2007 installed. I also have Office for Mac 2010 and iWorks '09 installed on the Mac side of my computer.

When I open MS Word attachments from Outlook in Parallels they open in the Mac Word.

I then changed the default on my Mac side from Mac Word to XP Word, so when I open Word files from Finder they open Parallels Word. Now when I open Word documents in Outlook, the files no longer open in Word for Mac, but instead try to open in iWorks (Pages).

Note: I have Adobe installed on both the Mac and Parallels sides, and when I open attached PDF documents they open in the XP version of Adobe. Other files, such as image files, text files, compressed files all open with XP programs.

The problem seems to be limited to MS Office files.

Thanks!

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

You obviously have association messed up in your system. You need to check all the files' extensions you need to change association of - right click and choose 'Get info'. Change the default application to open file- apply for all files of this extension. It should work. Make sure you did distinguish Windows applications from mac applications in the list

3. ANDREA123

ANDREA123 Junior Member

Hey there,
    Thanks for the tip. The file associations needed to be changed on the PC side. Turns out they didn't default to XP programs or follow the defaults on the Mac side. I never browse in Explorer so I didn't see the icon and connect the dots (I used Finder which has a number of file associations set to PC programs). Problem solved :)