Audio Crackling/Stuttering Issues?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Stephen Grall, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Stephen Grall

Stephen Grall Bit poster

Has anyone else been experiencing audio crackling and stuttering issues with macOS Guests in Parallels the past few months? I'm trying to narrow down if it's the host OS or Parallels that is causing it. The issue is reduced but not entirely eliminated if you change the audio sampling rate in the guest VM to 22 KHz.
    I've tested on two 2019 16" Intel MacBook Pros running macOS 13.5.1 and Parallels 18.3.2 as well as Parallels 19.0.0. Both Macs have the issue. Since Parallels 18.3.2 and macOS 13.5 came out at the same time, I haven't yet tried narrowing down which is the root cause.

2. Stephen Grall

Stephen Grall Bit poster

It appears that the host macOS is causing the issue, specifically 13.5-13.5.2. 13.6 beta appears to mostly resolve the issue.

3. OmarK2

OmarK2 Bit poster

This is not from MacOS it is from Parallels. I raised a ticket, but I was told to close it as it was going to take too long to fix. Here is their email:
    Greetings ,

Thank you for your email.

We regret to inform you that due to the complexity of the issue, it is still being investigated along with our Development Team in the internal case. They are continually working on the cases escalated by the Support Team, however, do not share an ETA required for a fix.

Therefore, we cannot tell you the exact ETA regarding your issue. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Once there is a response from them - whether it is a request for additional information, a workaround, or a permanent fix - we will let you know.
    It usually takes time to go into a complicated virtualization software. Yet, we will do our best to find a solution as soon as possible.

We will get back to you as soon as we have an update.

We advise you to subscribe to https://kb.parallels.com/129060 (click 'Get updates > Subscribe') to get updates about the new fixes.

Thank you for understanding.

4. BallO

BallO Hunter

I consistently get cracking noises in MacOS (host) after sleeping on a MacBook M2 Max. Anyone think it's due to Parallels? It clears up after about a minute. I have no idea what causes it