Audio in FreeBSD

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by salvomic, May 7, 2007.

1. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Moved from "How to"

Hi all,
    please, help to get audio working in FreeBSD 6.2 under Parallels on Mac OS X.
    I've installed it and configured, but audio doesn't work.
    Thanks in advance!

Salvo

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  2. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

still no solution?
    I tried also Parallels 3.0, but no difference...
    I got audio in Parallels for Linux Debian and Solaris 10, but not FreeBSD...

FreeBSD says there isn't a /dev/dsp into, but where is the *real* issue?
    Any help?

I hope also the Parallels Team could make soon "Parallels Tools" also for FreeBSD and Solaris 10, as we have now (Parallels 3) with Linux :)

TIA!

3. sparcdr

sparcdr Junior Member

Es1371

I believe Parallels emulates an Ensoniq AudioPCI 1371 sound card. Try kldload sound_driver then cat /dev/sndstat to get the driver name. Once you've found the module name, add it to /boot/loader.conf

I'll try it out in a few minutes and post a followup if my hunch is true.

4. catmistake

catmistake Member

At least you got that... I have no audio in ubuntu 6.10 or 6.06, and no audio in Solaris 10. I wouldn't even know where to begin, and your's is the first post I've found mentioning audio that wasn't for Windows.

Do you mind detailing how you got audio working in Debian & Solaris?
    -Appreciated-

5. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Hi,
    with Debian I made no particular thing: it did all :)

For Solaris try to download audioi810 1.9 beta from http://www.tools.de/solaris/audio/beta/, then:
    bunzip2 ./audio-1.9beta-i86pc.pkg.bz2
    pkgadd ./audio-1.9beta-i86pc.pkg

It works for me.

Regards
    Salvo

6. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

thanks!
    Have you tried?
    Can you, please, explain better to me how to do?
    Now I try something.

Salvo

7. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

I tried.
    I get:
    kldload sound_driver can't load...
    cat /dev/sndstat no such file or directory...

Thanks, however.

cheers
    salvo

8. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

hi all,
    for FreeBSD 6.2 and the audio problem, the solution was here:
    <http://forum.parallels.com/thread10121.html>
    Go to OpenSound.com, download the driver (free for personal use) for FreeBSD, add it with pkg_add and then the audio system run well!
    Thanks, Roger!

9. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

however, now I get an instable system, I think because the new sound driver. Or is it because the new Mac OS X 10.4.10 update and its new usb upgrade?

Any other experience?

TIA
    salvo

10. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

I made some tests, I think that perhaps the problem is the "full duplex" option in FreeBSD. Eliminating that one, the system seems more stable.

have a nice BSD day!

salvo

11. sparcdr

sparcdr Junior Member

Oops

Seems that it's "snd_driver" not "sound_driver" sorry about that. There are a few sysctl options you can tweak to fix problems with the sound glitches. Open Sound is now free and open-source, so it'll eventually become the norm, but for now use which one that works best.

12. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

ok, thanks sparcdr.
    Now I installed open sound. How can I deinstall it and install instead your solution?
    Please, tell me more :)

However, I confirm, that the problems with Open Sound were because the "full duplex" option. Disabling it FreeBSD is more stable.

Regards
    salvo

13. sparcdr

sparcdr Junior Member

fbsd01# kldload snd_driver
    fbsd01# cat /dev/sndstat
    FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
    Installed devices:
    pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371-A> at io 0x2080 irq 19 kld snd_es137x (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)
    fbsd01# mixer
    Mixer vol is currently set to 75:75
    Mixer pcm is currently set to 75:75
    Mixer line is currently set to 75:75
    Mixer mic is currently set to 0:0
    Mixer cd is currently set to 75:75
    Mixer rec is currently set to 0:0
    Mixer igain is currently set to 0:0
    Mixer line1 is currently set to 75:75
    Mixer phin is currently set to 0:0
    Mixer video is currently set to 75:75
    Recording source: mic

You can control the mixer by typing something like mixer pcm 100

It should report pcm0 and device info on the console. I loaded the driver via ssh incase it froze the VM and locked my keyboard interrupts. It worked fine though. VMware Fusion also uses es1371 by the way.

I don't know how to get rid of the one you installed, you should consult their readme files. To make the built-in FreeBSD autoload, add snd_es137x_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf file with vi.

Oh, and opensound is not the same as oss on FreeBSD. For most cards you'd use the built-in driver, which is mostly compatible with the commercial product. You don't need the commercial product unless you have some oddball highend synthesizer card or 7 channel soundblaster, or something like that. As for Solaris, it needs the commercial 3rd party driver, which will eventually be backported to Solaris 10, or maybe included with Solaris 11 as it is open-source. The binary blob version however is still proprietary afaik.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  14. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

ok, I made these things:
    removed OSS driver (as it's said in their manual):
    ---
    /usr/sbin/soundoff
    pkg_delete oss-freebsd-v4.0-1003-i386
    reboot
    ---

then I tried:
    ---
    kldload snd_driver
    cat /dev/sndstat
    ---

but I got:
    Intel ICH2 (82801BA) snd_ich ...
    and if I add to /boot/loader.conf
    the line
    snd_ich_load="YES"
    FreeBSD doesn't give more the "/dev/dsp" error, but it doesn't sound at all, or it sometimes give the error "/dev/dsp busy".

Must I download from somewhere the Ensoniq AudioPCI driver, isn't it? is it not included in standard FreeBSD?

Thanks,
    salvo

15. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

I controlled now in my Debian 4.0 etch in Parallels (in my MacBook Pro C2D), and the audio is ok as "ALSA" and Intel ICH2 on IRQ 9.
    Then, why the same (ported) driver doesn't work for FreeBSD on the same IRQ?

salvo

16. sparcdr

sparcdr Junior Member

Okay, so salvomic, ALSA is Linux-only hence the acronym it stands for. It doesn't use ICH, that's Intel. It's Esoniq afaik, and it's part of OSS on any FreeBSD release after 4.8 or so.

17. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

yes, sparcdr, perhaps it's Ensoniq and it is not Intel (with cat /dev/snd_stat I get: "Intel ICH2 (82801BA) snd_ich .."), but - following your tips - I thinked to load it, but I cannot hear any sound, also if FreeBSD doesn't give errors and perhaps the audio driver is correctly loaded.
    So, Ensoniq or Intel, my FreeBSD 6.2 with snd_driver load only "ICH2", and then ...doesn't sound at all.
    Any help, please?
    I don't want to use OpenSound (that, however, works, if we don't enable "full duplex")...

Thanks in advance!

Salvo

18. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Hi all,
    also with the recent 5144 release candidate the same thing: no audio for FreeBSD :-(

Hoping the excellent Parallels' Team could solve the issue and enable natively the audio for FBSD guest OS!

salvo