Backup Bootcamp to VM and Vice Versa

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by beta_david_luther, Jul 3, 2020.

1. beta_david_luther

beta_david_luther Bit poster

I did some searching for this feature but couldn't locate and I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest it.

I make use of a Windows 10 Bootcamp and do use the Parallels feature to access it. I'm soon to upgrade my iMac and I am not seeing an easy way to move the Win10 bootcamp to my new iMac when I purchase. I was hoping that I could "move" my bootcamp to a Parallels VM and when I get my new iMac restore the Parallels Win10 VM to Bootcamp (and keep the VM as a failsafe backup.).

Is this something that can be added as a simple easy new feature in Parallels or is it not feasible?

NickB18 likes this.
  2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi David,

Do you reboot to use Windows on BootCamp natively from time to time?
    • YES
      Then users in your situation migrate BootCamp partition using 3rd party vendors tools. The process is clunky and error-prone and requires using BootCamp Assistant on a new Mac too. That is the main reason why Parallels doesn't provide "Restore to BootCamp" functionality.
    • NO
      Then Parallels offers functionality to "move" BootCamp to Parallels VM. You then migrate to a new Mac using Apple Migration Assistant or simply copying the pvm file (which you can also use as a backup as you said).
      Instructions and benefits are available at https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/import-bootcamp/