Bad performance with 4.0.....

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by alonweinstein, Jan 8, 2009.

1. alonweinstein

alonweinstein Junior Member

I'm not sure what's going on, but since I upgraded Parallels to 4.0 my system's performance hit an all time low. I've never had to restart both my Windows XP client OS _and_ my Leopard so many times in one week. I haven't been doing anything different with my system (granted I am using it for development and some pretty heavy stuff, but I was doing the same with this laptop and Parallels 3.0 and had none of these problems).

OS X keeps telling me my startup disk is full despite having over 30GB of space available, Windows apps performance is really bad and some of them simply hang a few times a day (I'm talking about simple MS Office apps and IE), my OS X performance gets unusable after a while until I shutdown Parallels.

What's going on? Am I the only one getting this kind of experience?

Alon.

2. rstrauss

rstrauss Junior Member

I agree. Outlook stalls and then jumps back to life. Everything seems a little slower. Maybe someone knows how to optimize the settings?

3. eread

eread Member

Could you check if you are using PD4 build 3810 (30th Dec 2008). If so, things are a lot better than they used to be!

If not, try the newer version and get the updated Parallels Tools installed.

The forums are replete with optimization settings - different people seem to find different things work. What works well for one, doesn't for another. But be aware, most of the discussion is about the older builds.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Slowness, - disable or tune up antivirus
    Disk space
    put here output from diskutil list in Terminal from mac OS side

5. eplantz

eplantz Bit poster

I agree. I updated to 3810 and for the first run of the day, my Parallels is dog-slow. It is basically unusable for about 4 minutes while the CPUs run at close to 100%.

after that, it returns to fairly normal responsiveness and will be that way for the remainder of the day.... suspending and resuming throughout the day.

the Imac (2.8Ghz) is turned off at the end of the day so the first run of the day for Parallels would follow an iMac reboot.

6. UlrichH

UlrichH Bit poster

Low performance

After some days using Parallels 4 windows became incredibe slow. The hint under http://kb.parallels.com/de/5859 in German helped only partially. Some programs became faster, but internet actions like Firefox stayed nearly frozen.