I have a MacBk Pro running OS 11.7 (Big Sur). I am running Parallels Desktop 18 with a Windows 10 v.m that has been upgraded for over 5 years (began with Parallels Desktop 5 maybe?). So I have the Legacy bios in my windows v.m. (confirmed by checking system info) running on an Intel Mac. I am very confused about the options I have to upgrade to Windows 11.
As I understand it, the only option I have on THIS Mac host is to create a new virtual machine running Windows 11. But, as far as I can see, there is NO pathway to then migrate my Window 10 v.m.'s programs and data to this new v.m running Windows 11. The only option would appear to be to start over with the new v.m. and install everything from scratch..........am I correct in this assumption??
If those assumptions are correct, are they any different/better IF I were to purchase a NEW MacBk Pro and install Parallels there? Is there then any way I can migrate (as opposed to having to start over and install fresh) from one physical machine to another in that situation? One issue I see is that my Parallels license is only for 1 computer. So even if I was transferring programs & data prior to wiping and abandoning the old machine, would I be able (legally at least) to run Parallels on both those hosts as the same time for a transfer of data??
I sort of feel like those of us long term Parallels customers who are in this unforeseen situation are kind in a "digital coffin corner" like pilots who are in an aircraft flying where stall speed is approaching the critical mach number: slow down or speed up at all and you're dead!! In our case, eventually we will be running programs that won't be supported or upgraded, but we can't upgrade any longer and are forced to just wipe our programs, try to manually port over some data somehow and start over installing software!!
If anyone out there knows that I am wrong (I hope I am), please explain to me how I might proceed here without having to start over with a new, empty v.m and re-install everything while trying to preserve as much data as possible.
As I understand it, the only option I have on THIS Mac host is to create a new virtual machine running Windows 11. But, as far as I can see, there is NO pathway to then migrate my Window 10 v.m.'s programs and data to this new v.m running Windows 11. The only option would appear to be to start over with the new v.m. and install everything from scratch..........am I correct in this assumption??
If those assumptions are correct, are they any different/better IF I were to purchase a NEW MacBk Pro and install Parallels there? Is there then any way I can migrate (as opposed to having to start over and install fresh) from one physical machine to another in that situation? One issue I see is that my Parallels license is only for 1 computer. So even if I was transferring programs & data prior to wiping and abandoning the old machine, would I be able (legally at least) to run Parallels on both those hosts as the same time for a transfer of data??
I sort of feel like those of us long term Parallels customers who are in this unforeseen situation are kind in a "digital coffin corner" like pilots who are in an aircraft flying where stall speed is approaching the critical mach number: slow down or speed up at all and you're dead!! In our case, eventually we will be running programs that won't be supported or upgraded, but we can't upgrade any longer and are forced to just wipe our programs, try to manually port over some data somehow and start over installing software!!
If anyone out there knows that I am wrong (I hope I am), please explain to me how I might proceed here without having to start over with a new, empty v.m and re-install everything while trying to preserve as much data as possible.