beta3 and linux

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sfwalter, Apr 13, 2006.

1. sfwalter

sfwalter Junior Member

Has anyone had any success with getting linux to get an ip address off a dhcp server with beta 3 and airport wireless networking? I am have no success, I have to set the ip address manually.

scott.

2. jimbosyn

jimbosyn Bit poster

I am running CentOS (RHEL) on my macbook pro. I cannot get an ip address using DHCP. I am able to statically assign anaddress and have connectivity. That is very odd.

3. jsolderitsch

jsolderitsch Member

Fedora Core 5, DHCP, DNS works for me

I am running Fedora Core 5 and with beta 3, after having created a fresh VM after installing beta3, I am successfully getting a DHCP address as well as DNS when I am bridging to my airport connection. On my Macbook Pro (running 10.4.6) I have both the wired and airport connections active and connected.

Earlier today I was bridging Fedora to my wired interface and that worked too -- DHCP and DNS successful, using Fedora/Firefox to browse the web, etc.

With beta 2, using Fedora Core 4, I could NOT get DHCP and DNS no matter what bridging connection I made.

So I am not sure what the magic is -- beta 3 or using a more recent linux, but I am quite happy with Parallels/Fedora Core 5 and its support for automatic network configuration.

I completely un-installed beta 2 and destroyed my old VMs and even re-booted the Mac after installing beta 3 before creating the Fedora Core 5 VM that is working for me.

I have a CentOS 4.3 DVD that I might get brave enough to try installing soon.

YMMV

Jim

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  4. jsolderitsch

jsolderitsch Member

Fedora Core 5, DHCP, DNS from home not so good

To follow up my own message.

At home, with my more primitive dhcp-enabled network (using an old Mac running IPNetRouter) I do not seem to get DNS when I bridge to my wireless connection, although I am assigned an IP. In the Network widget within Fedora, I do seem to have a DNS address that is right -- it's the one that appears in /etc/resolv.conf on my OS X host -- and if I run /sbin/ifconfig, I do have a proper looking IP for my Fedora, but I can't ping any outside machines. If I shut the Fedora VM down, reset the network bridging to en0 and re-start Fedora, I do get DNS and network accessibility.

My earlier post was from work and there it seemed DNS worked regardless of whether I bridged to en0 or en1.

So something is still not quite right network wise, either on the Linux side or with Parallels itself.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006