I have been running Parallels for over a year using a Boot Camp partition. I have had a couple of blips but generally it has been quite satisfactory and stable.
However, I recently read the book Running Windows on Your Mac by Dwight Silverman. In it, he discussed the things you can and can't do with a Boot Camp partition. He noted:
1. Can't use snapshots, cloning or undo disks which limits backup options.
2. Can't suspend but can pause.
3. Time Machine won't back up a BC partition.
4. Shared profiles feature is disabled.
5. Changes in Parallels show up in native Boot Camp and vice versa.
He seemed to be implying that there are better ways to run Parallels than the BC partition. However, as I mentioned, I have been quite satisfied with the operation although I would prefer more backup options. I backup everything using Norton Ghost on the Boot Camp partition (using stand alone Windows) weekly and use Time Machine and SuperDuper on the Mac side for backup.
I'd appreciate comments on whether I would benefit from a different arrangement than my current setup.
Thanks very much for any help.
James
However, I recently read the book Running Windows on Your Mac by Dwight Silverman. In it, he discussed the things you can and can't do with a Boot Camp partition. He noted:
1. Can't use snapshots, cloning or undo disks which limits backup options.
2. Can't suspend but can pause.
3. Time Machine won't back up a BC partition.
4. Shared profiles feature is disabled.
5. Changes in Parallels show up in native Boot Camp and vice versa.
He seemed to be implying that there are better ways to run Parallels than the BC partition. However, as I mentioned, I have been quite satisfied with the operation although I would prefer more backup options. I backup everything using Norton Ghost on the Boot Camp partition (using stand alone Windows) weekly and use Time Machine and SuperDuper on the Mac side for backup.
I'd appreciate comments on whether I would benefit from a different arrangement than my current setup.
Thanks very much for any help.
James