Black Screen of Death continues to make Parallels unusable on M1

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by FrankB12, Sep 3, 2021.

1. JayC5

JayC5 Bit poster

Wouldn't we need to identify what the actual cause is for sure? I'm simply mitigating a potential side effect until Parallels can identify, and hopefully, resolve the issue. For now, its an unknown. Or are you suggesting that accessing the Mac Share is cause the back screen and moving my data back to the VM disk would resolve? If so, I would like to have expanded explanation on what is actually happening before I make that change.

2. JayC5

JayC5 Bit poster

I am probably jinxing myself, but I've not received the black-screen-of-death for a while. I have received the black-screen-of-near-death but that is remedied by a window resize of the parallels window. I don't remember if my last black-screen-of-death was before/after the last Parallels update. But it was definitely before the last Windows update so maybe that's a factor.

For future self:
    Parallels Desktop 18 for Mac: 18.0.2 (53077)
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro: 10.0.19045 N/A Build 19045

3. VictorE

VictorE Member

Black screen issue is definitely being caused by the Parallels version. I upgraded my system from an MacMini Late 2012 using Parallels 16 and MacOS BigSur to a MacMini Late 2018 running Parallels 18 and MacOS Ventura. I use a Windows Server 2019 VM for coding, and I migrated it from the old Mac to the new one... in the old Mac I never experienced this black screen issue, but in the new Mac it happens several times during the day, so it has to be something related to the Parallels version (or the MacOS version).