Black screen on Windows 11 VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by MarkN8, Mar 15, 2022.

1. MarkN8

MarkN8 Bit Poster

I had been running Parallels 17.0.1 for some time with no issues. I have a MacBook Air with macOS 12.3. Today I upgraded Parallels to 17.1.1. When I ran my Windows 11 VM, it started as usual, and Parallels Tools was upgraded. I restarted Windows after that. Once Windows was up and I entered my password, there was a longer-than-usual pause, then a black screen instead of my Windows desktop. Restarting Windows or restarting Parallels had no effect.

Any ideas as to what is happening and how I could fix it? Thanks!

2. MelanieW1

MelanieW1

I have exactly the same problem and i`m completely at a loss as to what I can do to fix the problem. I hope someone can help. :(

3. MelanieW1

MelanieW1

I think i´ve got it. Look at the menu of windows 11, klick to actions and then "Zurücksetzen" - in english it means "reset to default". Windows 11 is running again!

Attached Files:

BastianA and HenrikB3 like this.
  4. MarkN8

MarkN8 Bit Poster

The next time I used my Windows 11 VM, I tried doing Actions/Reset, but the screen was still black. Not frozen, but black. Then, a few minutes later, the screen became normal. Not sure why! I restarted Windows to make sure, and the normal desktop in normal colors came up. It appears that my issue has resolved itself... unless it was a delayed reaction from the reset.

5. BastianA

BastianA Bit Poster

I am on Ventura. What worked for me was to suspend the machine with the button on control panel, after that I pressed start again and then Windows 11 came back to work normally.

Aldo2 likes this.
  6. Aldo2

Aldo2

This worked for me as well, I'm on Ventura. After suspending and pressing start it popped up normally again. Thank you for the advice!

7. denethor

denethor Bit Poster

Hi there, first time in here.

Above solution (suspend/resume) no longer solves the problem for me after yesterdays Beta 2 update of Ventura. (Build 22A5286j) I am on MacBook Pro 16" with M1 Pro. Actually this is kind a weird because it was working for a almost 6-8hrs after Beta 2 and it stopped working after this morning. Same applies to to newly created VM as suggested at the end of KB123094

8. JeremyW15

JeremyW15

Thanks so much, I have a MacBook Air with an M1 chip, the screen was going blank (not black) for me. The reset worked for me and I am back running Windows 11 again!

9. AnthonyM20

AnthonyM20 Bit Poster

Same. Whereas with beta 1 I was able to get more or less normal functionality after a suspend / reactivate, now it just seems to show for 5 seconds or so, then go black. Doing the suspend again just repeats the result. This is whether it is in full screen, coherence or PIP.

I realise that this is a beta, but there has to be a long term fix for this. Can we have any kind of update on the position, please?