Blackberry USB problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by natjbrown, Feb 19, 2008.

1. natjbrown

natjbrown Bit poster

I haven't seen this problem in my search of the forums.

I connect my Blackberry 8830 to BlackBerry Desktop Manager Version 4.3.0.15 under Boot Camp just fine. Synchs right up with my Outlook.

When I connect my Blackberry up to Parallels Desktop 3.0, build 5584, it asks if I want to have the device automatically connected to the virtual machine My Boot Camp. I click yes, and I hear the chime showing that the drivers have loaded. I then hear a chime that the device has disconnected. Then the chime that the drivers have loaded again. Then disconnected. Over and over.

When I watch the device manager, I can see the device BlackBerry Smartphone added and removed over and over.

I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. I've tried multiple USB cables. It works fine in Boot Camp, so it shouldn't be a problem with the phone, cable, or USB port. I am using a MacBook Pro. Host OS is Mac OS X version 10.5.2.

Please let me know if anyone has an idea on what I can try.

2. iguy@interchange.ubc.ca

iguy@interchange.ubc.ca Bit poster

Having the exact same problem and have found no help

I also have an 8830, trying to connect via Parallels to WinXP on my MacBook Pro duocore 15". It sounds like a Pong competition as the device connects/disconnects/connects/disconnects...baloop-balup-baloop-balup. Hopefully someone else out there has a solution for us...I suspect some driver for the blackberry to be recognized.
    --R

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

4. iguy@interchange.ubc.ca

iguy@interchange.ubc.ca Bit poster

Tried suggestions as per knowledge base article - didn't make a difference

I tried the suggestions in your article for USB errors related to Desktop version 3...namely making sure configuration set to Mac OS for USB devices. Still the same incessant connect/disconnect bleeps with no connection established. The next step suggested trying a custom build with improved USB support...build no 5582.5 but I am on a more recent build...5584. Are you suggesting I downgrade to 5582.5?
    --R

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello iguy@interchange.ubc.ca,

5582.5 is a custom build that provides some hotfixes that were not included in the build 5584. You can try.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. kevjkelly

kevjkelly Bit poster

8130 having same problem

will advise on the custom build...

7. kevjkelly

kevjkelly Bit poster

whatever mojo you guys have worked into this build -- please include it in a prod. build sometime soon! That did the trick.

8. swthomas55

swthomas55 Bit poster

Same problem in build 5600

I just upgraded to build 5600, tried both suggestions in the KB article, and still get no connection to by BlackBerry, along with the "device is in use" message.

Should I downgrade to the custom build?

9. threplogle

threplogle Bit poster

I've had the same problem with my 8830 and finally got it working by installing the older build 5582.5. Everything works great now except I'm getting the screen flickering again when I am not in full screen mode. (Which is why I upgraded to the most recent build in the first place.)

Is there going to be a build that incorporates both of these issues????

10. goro

goro Bit poster

I know there are a number of threads covering this issue, but I got around the endless Blackberry connect/disconnect loop in a way that I don't recall being discussed.

After repairing my USB drivers, it worked (stayed connected) exactly once before falling back into the same pattern. I did notice on that one time that I got two dialog boxes from Parallels when I connected the BB. One asked about the Blackberry Mass Storage, and the other asked about the Blackberry Composite Device.

After it stopped working again and entering the loop, I did take other users' advice and changed Parallels to automatically attach USB devices when they're connected. I hypothesized that the mass storage mode might also be the culprit. On my BB, in the device config, under "Media Card," I completely turned off Mass Storage Mode (previously it was set to prompt). Since doing this, I have not seen the loop arise anymore, and I was able to upgrade the BB software. I'm able to keep it connected every time. (I still can't get BB Desktop Manager to actually communicate with the BB post upgrade, but it does at least stay connected.)

EDIT: After many more hours of fighting to try to get the BB into a state where it could communicate with the DM, I was able to find tools that would get around the JVM problem and force into the application loader. Unfortunately, now the BB is in the middle of the update (where there is no longer any OS on the BB at all), and Parallels is stuck in the dreaded connect/disconnect loop, preventing the app loader from completing the update. My BB is a paper weight.

I cannot overstate how unacceptable this situation is. Parallels team: if you are going to claim that your software supports Blackberries, perhaps you should make sure that it actually does before you make such a claim. It's clear that Parallels 3.0 DOES NOT support Blackberries. Fix it. Now.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008