Blackberry USB - very nearly perfect

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jcuff, May 29, 2006.

1. jcuff

jcuff Bit poster

Hi all,

So a bit of feed back, my 40 bucks is on the way as of today to parallels either way, this product is rather amazing. Anyway, here's my current little wrinkle:

MacbookPro 17" 2GB, 2.16GHz
    Parallels RC build 1832
    Running XP professional SP2 with latest patches
    Blackberry desktop manager version 4.0.1.10.
    Blackberry 7750 with 4.0.0.171 software (1.5.0.30 platform code)

The USB connection appears to work fine, PIM connects and does all the usual "I'm connected and happy with the world" stuff. Looking at Blackberry Handheld Manager shows the correct PIN for the Blackberry and the statistics pages look all cool, the connection timer increases, and the blackberry even charges from the USB cable, very nifty.

So almost all set... However, when installing java apps or doing a sync PIM operation, the connection hangs at some undefined point in the process. If I just leave it connected it's just all fine and dandy. It is only under what seems to be large USB transfers, like the sync I mentioned that sync it locks up.

Going to Devices->USB->Vendor Specific (hex) in Parallels Desktop menu and disconnecting and reconnecting the Blackberry via that menu entry frees off the hang, and all is then back to normal. Windows even does the bidlybink noise to show that the device came and went.

Looking in the dmesg and syslog on the MBP shows this error, that coincides with the hang:

USBF: 33083.815 AppleUSBUHCI[0x4259000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 29, timing out!

There is one of these lines for each of the USB hangs. Sorry I can't provide any more feed back, it is just soooo close to working perfectly. Hope this helps you out a bit to try and diagnose the issue.

Here's the full dump for each of my hung syncs, I tried it 6 times with a reboot of the mac and the windows client in between just to make sure. Well at least it is totally repeatable :)

jcmac:~ jcuff$ grep deadline /var/log/system.log
    May 29 16:49:57 jcuff kernel[0]: USBF: 32402.740 AppleUSBUHCI[0x4259000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 29, timing out!
    May 29 16:59:09 jcuff kernel[0]: USBF: 32954.760 AppleUSBUHCI[0x4259000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 29, timing out!
    May 29 17:01:18 jcuff kernel[0]: USBF: 33083.815 AppleUSBUHCI[0x4259000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 29, timing out!
    May 29 17:06:19 jcuff kernel[0]: USBF: 33384.828 AppleUSBUHCI[0x4259000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 29, timing out!
    May 29 17:22:10 jcuff kernel[0]: USBF: 34335.879 AppleUSBUHCI[0x4259000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 29, timing out!
    May 29 17:23:59 jcuff kernel[0]: USBF: 34444.883 AppleUSBUHCI[0x4259000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 29, timing out!

Best,

j.

2. snit

snit Member

Almost every device I have tried seems to have a similar issue, where if you send more than a little bit of data over a short time, the connection hangs.

3. jcuff

jcuff Bit poster

Just to follow up on myself, RC2 still has the same issues, but is much better than it was. I did manage to get a full backup this time, the backup was 1.4MB so, the data transfer issues seem to be fixed, or at least more stable.

However when syncing, or doing application transfers we still see the dreaded...

"Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 29, timing out!"

in the dmesg output.

It is getting closer though, and RC2 is wicked fast.

4. MacClueless

MacClueless Member

Is this resolved in the final release? I'm ready to buy Parallels if it is!

5. rossf

rossf Junior Member

Not quite but usable - plug BB into USB port, it may tell you there's not enough power to charge it. Unplug & plug in again - all OK. Start Destop Manager, it won't see the device - plug & unplug again, maybe twice - it will eventually become active. Look at the BB handset, you'll see the connected to desktop screen for a short time - and if you get to activate the Sync Now button on Desktop Manager BEFORE that screen dissapears on the handset, you should get a complete sync...
    BUT it's hit & miss...

Livin' with it is better than Pocketmac.

:) :confused: :) :confused: