Blue screen after installing Windows 10 April 2018 Update - 'SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED'

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RoyC2, May 1, 2018.

1. RoyC2

RoyC2 Bit poster

Hi, I've installed the Windows 10 April 2018 update on one of my Parallels VM's yesterday and now it's stuck in a blue screen during startup. The error message is "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED", and all repair/restore options are not working for me. I don't think I'll lose much if I just rebuild this machine from scratch, but I'd still like to revive it. Anyone familiar with this error after the April 2018 update and/or know how to alleviate it? Thanks!

I'm using Parallels Desktop 13.3.0 (43321), have tried Resetting and repairing the machine, but doesn't seem to help.

2. fillerm

fillerm Bit poster

In most cases, this error occurs because the graphics card driver is outdated. You need to upgrade the driver of your graphics card to the latest version. An outdated, corrupted or incompatible driver can get your system into display this blue screen. Outdated drivers and overclocking softwares, or a recently overclocked tweak are also known to cause this BSOD. If a recently installed program or a driver caused this issue; then the first approach should be to uninstall them since they are simply not compatible, keep track of updates and attempt reinstall when a patch or update to the driver has been released.

In order to fix this issue, the computer must be restarted in safe mode. Once after booting the computer in Safe Mode, you have to uninstall the incompatible device driver from the Device Manager, and then download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website. If you are lucky, the "system_thread_exception_not_handled" error code will have a file name attached to it, indicating which graphic driver is causing the problem. If you update or repair this graphic driver, you will be able to resolve the error completely.