Bluetooth GPS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by babazoid, Apr 25, 2006.

1. babazoid

babazoid Bit poster

Hey folks.

Quick question. I have a bluetooth GPS which connects to my mac via it's SPP Slave function as a RS-232 serial port.

I was hoping to have the option to map the port from my mac to a certain serial port on the PC. I noticed that in the "Devices" drop down menu there are several COMM ports listed. I assume that this is for the exact function I'm in search of.

Any idea when, or if this will be implimented? I'll buy Parallels for sure if this works, as there is no good Mac GPS software. I'd love to be able to use iGuidance!

Thanks a lot,
    Mark

2. bbraun

bbraun Member

You might find this post useful:
    http://forum.parallels.com/thread926.html

If you were able to bridge the serial device on the host Mac OS X system with Parallel's serial device, you might get something working.

3. babazoid

babazoid Bit poster

i think that program is for a USB device. my bluetooth GPS actually creates a serial port on my mac. i just need parallels to map it to a port on the windows side.

mark

4. bbraun

bbraun Member

When a bluetooth device serial device or a USB serial device is connected to mac osx, a device node is created under /dev/. Instead of using that program to bridge /dev/tty*, you could try using it to bridge /dev/cu.bluetooth*. Both are exported by the kernel as a serial device.

From the description, the program referenced in that post appears to do exactly what you want it to do. Bridge a serial device in macosx to a serial device in Parallels.

Anyway, no idea if it will work in practice, just thought it would be something you could try.

5. babazoid

babazoid Bit poster

ok thanks for the advice.

i'd rather wait for official parallels support for this. don't want to be messing around with other programs.

does anyone on the parallels development team know if this is going to be implimented?

thanks

6. farshad

farshad Bit poster